• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Activate Google Voice Now globally? No button!

sorka

Android Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2010
It was hard enough moving from my Droid X to an S3. One less button(the settings button). Even worse, the dedicated search button was gone which meant no launching the global voice search from any app regardless of the state.

I did work around this by figuring out how to intercept the double press of hte home button to launch GVN instead of Samsungs stupid S-Voice. So after a while, I was able to cope. I still wish I had 4 physical buttons.

My sister wants to buy my S3 off me (to keep her unlimited) and I was thinking of upgrading to the maxx hd primarily because of the build quality and much better car docks made by motorola (really miss that about my DX).

But I was playing with someone else's JB android with no physical buttons and I could not get over how messed up it was.

1) No search button.
2) No consistent menu button.
3) Settings buttons.

The one thing I can't live without is being able to activate GVN globally without leaving my current app.

Has anyone figured out how to do this???

You didn't say the home button. You said the menu button.

Still doesn't work for me as you have to look at the screen and press multiple things to get the microphone up.

I have it set up on my S3 right now that if I double press the home button regardless of the app, it brings up the GVN mic. No need to look at the screen which comes in real handy when driving.

If I upgrade to the maxx hd, this is a must ability. Had I not found the work around on the S3, it would have been returned.

Upvote 0
You didn't say the home button. You said the menu button.

Still doesn't work for me as you have to look at the screen and press multiple things to get the microphone up.

Are you referring to my comments above? I mentioned pressing/holding menu button only for GS3 though I didn't realize it wouldn't work when inside app.

Like Methos and I mentioned, this is no issue in RHD. From anywhere you can bring up google search/now mic by pressing/swiping up home button.

Upvote 0
Are you referring to my comments above? I mentioned pressing/holding menu button only for GS3 though I didn't realize it wouldn't work when inside app.

Like Methos and I mentioned, this is no issue in RHD. From anywhere you can bring up google search/now mic by pressing/swiping up home button.

Cool...about the swipe up. I'm off to the verizon store to try it now.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
1) No search button.
2) No consistent menu button.
3) Settings buttons.

The above are all common to new Android phones running ICS/JB. However, you can swipe up to get to the search function.

Menu button is there when relevant. Either at the top right (app dependent) or at the bottom right. It's a little annoying, but it's not that bad.

Settings button is there by swiping down.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones