1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Activate Google Voice Now globally? No button!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sorka, Jan 18, 2013.

1. sorka

sorka Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    It was hard enough moving from my Droid X to an S3. One less button(the settings button). Even worse, the dedicated search button was gone which meant no launching the global voice search from any app regardless of the state.

I did work around this by figuring out how to intercept the double press of hte home button to launch GVN instead of Samsungs stupid S-Voice. So after a while, I was able to cope. I still wish I had 4 physical buttons.

My sister wants to buy my S3 off me (to keep her unlimited) and I was thinking of upgrading to the maxx hd primarily because of the build quality and much better car docks made by motorola (really miss that about my DX).

But I was playing with someone else's JB android with no physical buttons and I could not get over how messed up it was.

1) No search button.
    2) No consistent menu button.
    3) Settings buttons.

The one thing I can't live without is being able to activate GVN globally without leaving my current app.

Has anyone figured out how to do this???

Advertisement

2. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Central TX
    I thought pressing/holding menu button is the way to launch google search/now on GS3?

You can launch google search/now by pressing home button and swiping it up on Razr/Maxx HD.

3. sorka

sorka Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Not if you're in another app already.

I need to be able to launch GVN without leaving my current app like I can with the double tap on the S3.

4. Methos1979

Methos1979 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 27, 2012
    Third rock from the Sun
    Actually, yes, you can. From any program press and hold for a second the home button and the Google button appear above it - just slide up to it and GVN launches.

5. sorka

sorka Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    You didn't say the home button. You said the menu button.

Still doesn't work for me as you have to look at the screen and press multiple things to get the microphone up.

I have it set up on my S3 right now that if I double press the home button regardless of the app, it brings up the GVN mic. No need to look at the screen which comes in real handy when driving.

If I upgrade to the maxx hd, this is a must ability. Had I not found the work around on the S3, it would have been returned.

6. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Central TX
    Are you referring to my comments above? I mentioned pressing/holding menu button only for GS3 though I didn't realize it wouldn't work when inside app.

Like Methos and I mentioned, this is no issue in RHD. From anywhere you can bring up google search/now mic by pressing/swiping up home button.

7. sorka

sorka Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    It doesn't. On the GS3, double tapping the home button from anywhere including while inside other apps brings up s-voice by default. I've changed it so that it brings up GVN instead.

8. sorka

sorka Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Cool...about the swipe up. I'm off to the verizon store to try it now.

Thanks.

9. hansangb

hansangb Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    1) No search button.
    2) No consistent menu button.
    3) Settings buttons.

The above are all common to new Android phones running ICS/JB. However, you can swipe up to get to the search function.

Menu button is there when relevant. Either at the top right (app dependent) or at the bottom right. It's a little annoying, but it's not that bad.

Settings button is there by swiping down.