• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Activated SIM req'd for signal testing?

DWILSON48625

Android Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2011
Harrison Mi
So, the little woman has been on me for a new phone. Fine... Got one...(Note 2... Actually, the fake version...mtk6577...Not by choice, by bad luck)...

Anyway, she is outta town for a few days. So, I checked coverage maps for 48625, Chose at&t sim. Came today.. Played with APN settings to see if I actually get any service.. So far nothing..

Question is, Can you check coverage before activating a SIM? OR, do you have to fully activate before the phone picks up on a signal? If I fully activate, she will kill me as she is outta town with her active phone.. New phone or not, she would strangle me when she gets back if her current phone becomes inactive....

Thanks.

A Chinese cheapo knock-off Samsung Note 2 most likely doesn't have the US cellular bands, which means no service on any US carrier, and that's it. It's very probably just dual-band 900/1800 GSM 2G, and maybe 2100 HSDPA 3G, which are not used in North America.
There's http://www.willmyphonework.net/ but they don't list counterfeit phones of course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones