• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Activating my EVO

musikat

May 17, 2010
I am literally sitting and waiting for My EVO to arrive via UPS any minute (hour?) now. Yesterday I was in the Sprint store looking at accessories and I mentioned I was getting it through the mail. The employee told my not to turn it on, but to bring it to the store to be activated. Is that right?

I am moving my number from my Moment to the EVO. Can I just call support, or do I need to even do that?

I am literally sitting and waiting for My EVO to arrive via UPS any minute (hour?) now. Yesterday I was in the Sprint store looking at accessories and I mentioned I was getting it through the mail. The employee told my not to turn it on, but to bring it to the store to be activated. Is that right?

I am moving my number from my Moment to the EVO. Can I just call support, or do I need to even do that?
It would'nt hurt to go to Sprint, Sprint will move all your contact over as well they have a niffy little machine that transfer all that. I bought mine at BB and after that went to Sprint just for the contact transfer.

Upvote 0

Well he was right about not turning it on but you don't have to take it to the store. Just go to your sprint account online and go to activate. Follow the instructions. All the info you need should be on the box. If you have any problems just call sprint and they will walk you through it.

Upvote 0

You can activate the phone online, it's very convenient. Did that for my pre last year.

Upvote 0
i have a question about activating. i got mine through wirefly, and it says not to call sprint or anything to have it activated? why is that? i want to just go to the online site and activate it. i really don't wanna sit here and wait possibly a day for it to get activated by them or whatever. they say it can take up to a day, how lame is that?

Upvote 0
Gotta tell you - that Sprint site has been sloooow. When I logged onto my Sprint account, on-line activation was not possible for me (probably because data plan changes were necessary). So I did a telephone activation which was quick and easy (while going through the phone menus - I heard a message that the EVO was no longer shipping due to availability). The rep told me to turn the phone completely off while he pushed some buttons, then turn it on and the phone ran an auto update. That was EASY.

Upvote 0
i have a question about activating. i got mine through wirefly, and it says not to call sprint or anything to have it activated? why is that? i want to just go to the online site and activate it. i really don't wanna sit here and wait possibly a day for it to get activated by them or whatever. they say it can take up to a day, how lame is that?

Hrm... I am receiving a phone from Wirefly later today, though I am having my number ported from T-Mobile to Sprint so my process might be a little different. The website claims step-by-step activation instructions come with the phone when you're getting new service or renewing... is that a lie? Do you have any instructrions except not to call Sprint?

Wirefly told me porting/activation would happen automatically upon receiving the phone... gaaaah.

On a side not--- can you use your EVO over Wifi before activation completes?

Upvote 0
Hrm... I am receiving a phone from Wirefly later today, though I am having my number ported from T-Mobile to Sprint so my process might be a little different. The website claims step-by-step activation instructions come with the phone when you're getting new service or renewing... is that a lie? Do you have any instructrions except not to call Sprint?

Wirefly told me porting/activation would happen automatically upon receiving the phone... gaaaah.

On a side not--- can you use your EVO over Wifi before activation completes?

It came with instructions, but it pretty much says just to turn the phone on and it will activate itself, it tries to however, but just keeps looping, and then trying it manual it just fails.

Yeah, you can use WiFi, but I don't have WiFi where I am. You can use the whole phone, except for not having a cellular connection.

The two people I've chatted with said the device will automatically activate sometime within 24 hours. ..Ugh.

Reactions: darweth
Upvote 0
It came with instructions, but it pretty much says just to turn the phone on and it will activate itself, it tries to however, but just keeps looping, and then trying it manual it just fails.

Yeah, you can use WiFi, but I don't have WiFi where I am. You can use the whole phone, except for not having a cellular connection.

The two people I've chatted with said the device will automatically activate sometime within 24 hours. ..Ugh.

Thanks for letting me know about the Wifi bit.

Looks like we're both in for a fun time concerning activation and stuff! Eeek

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones