1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Activating Non-Metro PCS phones on existing accounts???

Discussion in 'Android Carriers' started by Necromonger89, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Necromonger89

Necromonger89 Newbie
    None

Nov 9, 2012
    Student
    SoCal
    Hi all!
    First of all, I've been with Metro PCS for about 8 years now. I switched over to it from T-Mobile (would you believe it?). In all my years with MetroPCS I've never bothered to try outside phones, other than what the carrier offers.
    Recently though, I've struggled to cope with my aging ZTE Zmax Pro which has started showing it's age. Got this phone in 2016. I looked at Metro's offerings but was not impressed, so I looked elsewhere.
    I ended up biting the bullet on the Essential PH-1 and OnePlus 6 for me and my girlfriend. Both of which I got at discount due to being a student (both NEW for less than $780 total after shipping and taxes for 128GB versions).
    I researched both phones extensively and know both work on T-Mobile network, though to my knowledge there aren't a lot of people rocking these on Metro PCS.
    Because I've never activated an outside phone here, I have to ask: What do I need to activate both of these phones on Metro, using existing accounts?
    For those that do rock these phones or similar, what is your experience like?
    Thanks!

Advertisement

2. n0tall0wed

n0tall0wed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    All you need to do is either call them or go into a store to have them activated. Some phones you just need to place your sim in.

3. ausher28

ausher28 Lurker
    None

Sep 5, 2010
    Not there you have to go in and pay around 17.00 it's a money thing

4. n0tall0wed

n0tall0wed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Really, because when I was still with Metro if putting in the sim didn't work all I had to do was call them.

5. aml1025

aml1025 Android Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    I use non-Metro phones and switched most recently about a week ago. You don't need to go into the store unless you enjoy paying extra. Calling in to customer service and having them help you switch will work quickly and I haven't been charged for help with BYOD.

As long as you get the APN settings correct, your new phone should work as well on Metro as it would on T-Mobile, with the exception of roaming. Enjoy!

n0tall0wed likes this.