• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

keypad

Lurker
May 19, 2011
bought the droid charge this morning in santa monica, calif. ... folks behind the counter (very helpful and diligent) were unable to activate the phone. they called it in, opened a ticket #, and were told it's a 4G system-wide thing. not sure how wide that is.

after waiting an hour, they switched out the phone, in case it was the handset, but same thing on the new phone - no activation.

i went back an hour or two later, same story. and just came home now from my 3rd visit. when he called it in again and gave them my ticket #, he was again told it's systemwide and they have no ETA for fixing it.

the counter guy (not his fault) surmised maybe so many new 4G activations that it's taking more time. dunno.

i've poked around online but i don't see any news about a 4G systemwide problem. probably just a socal thing but it made for a long day. so right now my DC is a paperweight but it looks great! :)

guy said to come back in the morning and we'll try again.

Was the guy trying to activate the sim from inside the phone? On the new Verizon 4G phones you need to activate the sim before putting the card into the phone. If the phone is turned on with an unactivated sim, it burns out the card. For some reason, some employees still don't know this and are burning out cards trying to activate these phones.

interesting question - i have no idea. but if we get stuck again in the morning i'll certainly mention this. thank you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones