• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Activation Questions

I recently bought a lg optimus l9 for $30 from a friend. Its in excellent condition. I asked him where he got from but he gave no certain answer. So I checked the imei on tmobiles website it it's clean. If I try to activate it and it's on someone's account what will happen. Can I just insert a SIM card and activate by calling 411 or* 228. Is there a way to see if the imei is already hooked to someone's account?

I recently bought a lg optimus l9 for $30 from a friend. Its in excellent condition. I asked him where he got from but he gave no certain answer. So I checked the imei on tmobiles website it it's clean. If I try to activate it and it's on someone's account what will happen. Can I just insert a SIM card and activate by calling 411 or* 228. Is there a way to see if the imei is already hooked to someone's account?
The interesting thing with GSM phones the imei could actually be in use with an account and still work fine for you, granted I dont think that would work if it was in use on metro as they seem to lock sim and imei but t mobile and att do not.

And on straight talk the phone imei is not even in the picture, part of the sims number is put into that spot on the activation page.

Reactions: BigKeenan
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones