1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Activation

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by marywsc, Dec 18, 2013.

1. marywsc

marywsc Newbie

First, my apologies for my ignorance. This is all so much a mystery to me. I currently have a Blackberry Torch with AT&T through my local phone company. I have now purchased the Nexus 5 and want to change to Straight Talk.

Can I use the Sim card from my Blackberry--it is the same size?

When do I change it over since I need to use my Blackberry until my Nexus is activated?

My local phone company is notoriously slow is porting numbers (days to weeks). Do I just use the old phone until this happens? How will I know?

Thanks for any help.:thinking:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

First, no, you won't be able to re-use the SIM card - the Nexus 5 needs a micro SIM. You can cut it down to fit, but it's a delicate and slightly risky process. You'd probably be better off on using the Blackberry until you get the new line activated.

For porting and activating, you can just go to Welcome to Straight Talk and choose the last option - "Activate my Straight Talk Service with a number from another company". Straight Talk will then initiate the port, which could take 2 business days. You can continue to use your existing service (with the Blackberry) until the port goes through, at which time the new phone (with a new Straight Talk SIM) will start to work.

3. g01851

g01851 Well-Known Member

My porting from VirginMobileUSA to T-Mobile was sort of in stages. I could almost immediately use my N5 to call out (apparently with my former VM number) but could not receive calls until the next day (the old phone still worked for both outgoing and incoming calls until that next day). You should get an SMS message or similar notification from StraightTalk when the porting process is finished. Until then, hang on to both phones just in case.

PS as far as how long it takes and how they notify you, you might ask in the StraightTalk forum

http://androidforums.com/straight-talk/

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews