1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Activesync Push vs Interval

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dewg, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Dewg

Dewg Member

Sep 12, 2010
    I setup my corporate e-mail using Exchange Activesync. During the setup I told it to check for e-mail every 30 minutes. After it was setup, I confirmed that the account is set for polling every 30 minutes. However it keeps showing new e-mails live - like it's on Push.

Is this a known bug that will hopefully get fixed with 2.2? I want 30 minute polling for e-mail to save battery - push can drain frequently if I get alot of e-mail during the day.

Advertisement

2. Dewg

Dewg Member

Sep 12, 2010
    For clarification - I'm referring to the "E-mail Check Frequency" setting. No matter what I put in there (5 mins, 10, 30, etc.) the e-mail is live (push).

Could this be linked to the Auto Sync setting under "Accounts and Sync"? That's enabled by default. Is that overriding the E-mail Check Frequency and forcing push for e-mail?

3. burningembers

burningembers Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    Software Engineer
    Portland, OR
    Possibly. Does your Exchange server enforce settings in some manner that might be affecting this too?

Is Push really that resource intensive? I've never noticed a difference in battery life from 30-60 minute intervals to just leaving Push on.

4. Dewg

Dewg Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Our exchange environment doesn't lock any of those settings in. I just came from an iPhone and had the iPhone set for 30 minutes, and that's exactly what it did - check every 30 minutes.

As for battery life, I can only assume that Push has an impact on battery as every time an e-mail comes in the phone has to make a data connection transfer the data and then tear the connection down. With a 30 minute interval, it only needs to connect at 30 minutes, download a larger data block and then tear the connection down.

That being said - I don't have any other widgets or apps that are polling or downloading data in the background, so the data connection should be fairly quiet except for e-mail sync.

Edit: My experience on battery life is from the iPhone where having a 15 or 30 minute polling of e-mail vs push saved a decent amount of battery life (sometimes 20-25%), making the difference between lasting all day and having to charge when I get home from work.