1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Actual Camera Experience

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by vanack, Dec 3, 2011.

1. vanack

vanack Member
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    Nebraska
    Confused by conflicting reviews regarding the camera I would like to hear from real world owners the quality of the camera. Don't expect perfection just decent
    full and low light shots.
    I prefer to manual focus more often than not and wondering if this procedure does in fact produce better photos.
    thanks

Advertisement

2. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Android Expert
    None

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Jr. I.T. Support Tech @ Amazon
    Plainfield, Indiana
    So my experience with the camera in low light is that it has done a phenomal job. I was super impressed with it and when using flash. Maybe I just had a couple of lucky pictures taken but man they looked good.

I will try to post some pictures later today if I get time. Also the camera does produce a lot better pics when manually focusing.

rlh445 and vanack like this.
  3. vanack

vanack Member
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    Nebraska
    Great..thanks
    looking forward to the pics

4. artman540

artman540 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    Restaurant manager
    Kissimmee, Florida
    Not to thread jack or anything, but ho does the camera compare to the original Galaxy S. I have a Fascinate with 5mp camera, my wife's sister has an iPhone 4 and we all think the Fascinate takes better pics.

5. Soundchasr

Soundchasr Member
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    I'm hoping that my next phone will replace my camera. But I too have seen a number of poor reviews on the Nexus camera. Has anyone else used the Nexus as a camera replacement with any success?

6. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Android Expert
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    Grad student
    Martinsburg, WV & Portales, NM
    I think the Nexus Camera as been superb as a phone camera. What I mean by that is that it is great for photos viewed on the phone, shared via text/email/social media, or smaller prints (8 x 10 max). If you want crisp, detailed wallpapers for your 20"+ desktop monitor, you really need to be using a DSLR.

I almost exclusively use my phone as my main camera (unless it is a planned photo) and have found this Nexus to be much better than any of my previous phones' cameras. But I am not a photographer so I am not super picky about the shots I take.

Also, a lot of the "crappy" (grainy- the blurry ones are because 1. the person did/does not have a steady hand or 2. they did not "tap" to focus) seem to be more due to JPEG compression than actual camera issues, as the files usually turn up as < ~2.6 MB in size, not ~5 MB like I would expect them to be...

7. Wolfedude88

None

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Plainfield, Indiana
    I completely agree with that, most of my pics come out great when I tap to focus, as I apparently do not have a steady hand.:rolleyes:

Also almost all of my pics have been just around 2mb which is a welcome surprise. I am very impressed with the camera quality after playing with it the last week.

8. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Android Expert
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    Grad student
    Wow, maybe that is right (and not a ~1:1 conversion like I thought):
    How does MP (megapixels) Resolution Relate to MB (megabyte) File Size? Digital Photography SIG
    It would be cool if the GN's camera could save RAW format photos...

9. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Android Expert
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    Grad student
    On a similar/related note, is anyone able to change the "Picture Size" in the settings menu of the Camera app to anything but "< 5MP"? Mine will not let me change it to anything else...

[EDIT] Nevermind. Curse my scientific education (robbing me of common sense)! The "<" is an arrow and not a "less than sign"...

10. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I guess it depends what you've come from before cellphone cam wise, for me the Nexus camera is quite poor, better with manual focus but poor compared to Galaxy S II, Galaxy Note, it's not really there.

11. Wolfedude88

None

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Plainfield, Indiana
    I think I got you covered there, I came from the International Galaxy S II, the iphone 4s, and my wife has the AT&T Galaxy S 2, all of that in the last two weeks.

So like I have said I thought all of them took great shots, and I am telling you my Galaxy Nexus is taking just as great shots now after shooting with it the last week.

At first I was getting some blurry shots but now they are turning out pretty good.

I am not saying it is better than the others, but it is just as good to me and to my wife.

I am not a photographer by any means and I have kept all the settings stock on all the phone's camera if that makes any difference.

Also this phone takes the best pictures at night or in darkness out of the other phones I used above.

12. Soundchasr

Soundchasr Member
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    I'm not doubting you but from what I've read low light photos are poor with the Nexus. I thought they were great in outside bright light though.

If it can, in fact, take decent inside/low light photos then I'm all in.

13. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Multi-platinum Rapper
    Illinois
  14. Soundchasr

Soundchasr Member
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    Hmmm. I sometimes print out 5x7s of my photos to frame. Those photos don't look that great for this. Of course, I have nothing to compare it to.

15. northernale1

northernale1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    just got mine,, playing with the camera as we speak,, pictures are pretty decent in low light,, no complaints here,,

16. Soundchasr

Soundchasr Member
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    Examples? :D

Tags: