• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Actual cost for Ting service, including taxes

When I originally researched the Ting Mobile service, I did read on their website that there will be a small additional mandatory cost for government fees and taxes. But they didn't post those costs, and I didn't find the information anywhere else either.

Well, I got my first statement, and here are the taxes and fees:
This is for 2 phones on the account! I wonder if it is half this amount for 1 phone?

Taxes:
E911 Tax (Wireless) $1.90
FCC Regulatory Fee (Wireless) $0.03
Utility Users Tax $0.81
Sales Tax $1.13
Fed USF Cellular $0.67

So the first month's charge was about $46, but that was because my wife downloaded OTA updates w/o using wifi, and had tether turned on while we were on vacation, and our daughter used it for netflix and what not, going past 500MB.

But my prediction is that we will typically stay below 500MB/month, and don't use voice and txt that much ($3/month each) and thus our cost, including taxes will be about $36/month for 2 phones.

If I had only 1 phone on the plan, my total cost would probably be about $30/month, not much less that Virgin. But the advantage is the roaming voice on Ting.

But my prediction is that we will typically stay below 500MB/month, and don't use voice and txt that much ($3/month each) and thus our cost, including taxes will be about $36/month for 2 phones.

Our bill amount at Ting is similar with two smartphones - except we use more minutes and texts with less data. The average monthly bill is $30 - $35 total, plus a few bucks in taxes.

Over all it's a great deal, and as you mentioned the free voice roaming doesn't hurt. :)

Upvote 0
Sisu,

I just looked at my bill, I have 4 phones on my plan and my charges are basically double your charges. There is some variance but for the most part they are close to double. I think these also have to do with where you are physically located because I do not have the "Utility Users Tax" but I do have another line item you don't have.

I do agree with your statement about having only 1 line. My thoughts on that is like you said included voice/sms roaming and the other thing I would add to that is included tethering (I am not sure others offer this included?). It seems like the more devices you have sharing the minutes, text, and data the better off you are because you are sharing those buckets you are paying for.

Upvote 0
The taxes do depend on where you are located and are usually at a rate governed by the state and county in which you live.

However if you are curious those helpful folks at ting can work out what your taxes will be based upon whatever buckets you are looking at for the month. I've asked them myself before.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones