1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Actually Good "Prepaid" phones..?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by BlackTigress, Feb 23, 2013.

1. BlackTigress

BlackTigress Member

Are there any Good prepaid Android phones out there..? I only prefer prepaid because mainly they offer Unlimited everything..I hate having limits. I want to be able to grab my phone and use the internet whenever and how many times I want, not to be held back from limits.

I'm thinking about getting the Kyocera Hydro..Anybody have that phone..? It seems almost too good to be true...

Advertisement

2. downthemachine

downthemachine Developer Incognito

Hydro is a bad phone, but it is very easily damaged, and scratched. It has a plastic screen.
    If you were planning on boost mobile, I would check out the warp sequent. A lot more bang for your buck

3. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

who are you using for prepaid? If you are using a GSM prepaid (i.e AT&T and t-mobile) you can use any unlocked GSM phone.

4. BlackTigress

BlackTigress Member

..The Hydro is a bad phone..? I thought it was awesome (well..from the vids I see on youtube). They say it's water proof and it runs 4.0. I was thinking of just getting it from Kmart, but I'll see other phones that boost has..

Btw, they claim that unlocking phones are "illegal". Although I doubt people will get caught doing so, I won't take a chance..

How good is a 1 GHz QUALCOMM "Snapdragon" processor...?

5. SulkyAndroid17

SulkyAndroid17 Android Enthusiast

Kyrocera is a cheap brand with cheap stuff. And there aren't many times I'll be putting my phone under water.

illegal unlocking only applies if you have a contract. The 1 Ghz single core snapdragons are at best low-mid range. Android isn't optimized for multi-threaded tasks so it does fine for everyday things. Just don't expect to run all the latest games.

I have the Evo Design on Boost and it's a good phone. Not worth 200$ but it's okay. And like others have said the Sequent isn't bad either.

LTE should be coming to Virgin and Boost in the near future, so you might want to wait and see what new phones arrive.

6. boyo1991

boyo1991 Android Enthusiast

I am currently on virgin mobile. They offer the best phones, without need if flashing. Galaxy s2, iPhone, HTC evo 3D, and much more. The service map is not the best. But it works for what I need it for.

Best of luck!

7. lightsleeper23

lightsleeper23 Android Enthusiast

Boost Mobile has the S2 and iPhone as well. But those phones are expensive.

Waterproofing is the only good thing about the Hydro. The Warp Sequent is probably the best phone on Boost for the money. The next best would probably be the EVO Design, but it's over $200.

8. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

It is not illegal to own an unlocked phone. (After all the unlocked phone I have now can be purchased from google directly.)

9. Droidwerks

Droidwerks Member

Don't limit yourself to only the phones that prepaid carriers are offering! For example, Boost wants $329 for a nearly 2 year old S2, when you can buy a like new S3 (a MUCH better phone) for $300 and then have it flashed to Boost. Flashing sets you free, you can buy just about any phone you want as long as it uses the same bandwidth (i.e. GSM or CDMA) of the carrier you want to use.

I wish I had known about flashing years ago, would have saved me a ton of money....

10. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Android Enthusiast

It's only illegal if you unlock it yourself. If the carrier does it for you (e.g. for out of contract phones), you're off the hook.

Also, there are plenty of factory unlocked phones you can buy. I've got a number of Xperias as well as a couple of Nexuses. Heck, even Apple is selling unlocked iPhones.

11. MT Rotor

MT Rotor Android Enthusiast

If you go with tmobile, there's a good selection

12. bob60626

bob60626 Android Enthusiast

It's illegal like going hatless on a Sunday is illegal.

13. mikeca

mikeca Android Enthusiast

I have been using the kyocera rise on virgin for a few months now. Mostly works great. Camera is not so hot but if that's not a priority everything else is pretty good. Same specs as the hydro but with a slide out keyboard and not waterproof. $29.99 @ Target last week. Not sure if that special is still good?

14. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

I think you can get pretty much any phone on pre-pay. They don't tend to get subsidised much, if at all (at least here in the UK), so there's not too much point buying one from a network.

If you can afford it, the N4 is well worth looking at - a top level spec at an unbelievably reasonable price.

15. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

16. RyanDodd

RyanDodd Lurker

The LG Nexus 4 is unlocked so you can use it on the GSM carrier of your choice. In that case, you can use any unlocked phone on a prepaid network.