1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Ad hoc network

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Zortan, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Zortan

Zortan Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Hi

I'm currently awaiting my new simcard (with a decent data plan) so in the meanwhile I was wondering if android supports ad hoc networks. I tried connecting to our wifi, but just like my computer and my brother's iphone it was unable to connect (the only device that did manage to connect was an old win xp laptop...). So I figured I'd use my laptop to set up a new wifi, but it doesn't appear in the networks list when scanning for wifi signals.
    If it's not supported, is there some kind of app that could solve this problem?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Your best option is probably to get that WiFi network fixed.
    There is no standard support in Desire for ad-hoc networks. This is only activated in some ROMs (like Oxygen), which you can try only after rooting the phone.

Zortan likes this.
  3. Zortan

Zortan Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Well that sucks :p
    Thanks for the info, unfortunately we already tried to fix the WiFi network but in vain... Our previous wireless router didn't work either, but this one was working just fine for my brother, even after he moved he only had to plug it in. Here it refuses to work no matter what you do...

4. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Go through the router settings and check if there is a MAC filter. Disable it and you should be able to connect other devices.

Fortunately, good routers don't cost today much. So, if that router has problems, then for 50 EUR you can get a good replacement.

Tags: