• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

davey_b

Nov 20, 2009
I've been looking at tablets and was pretty much decided on getting the Advent Vega tablet once it came back into stock. However I noticed the Adam tablet (Notion Ink Adam) last night and really like the look of it. What are people's thoughts on it? I don't want to have to wait till march to get a tablet and not sure if it's that much better to be worth the wait. Always the dilema with technology!

If you dont want to wait until March, then I suggest you look elsewhere, like the Archos 101. The Adam will not release until Jan 6th, and if you preorder now they are quoting a 6-8 week delay. Come January it will be 8-12 weeks.

There is also the whole question of how viable Notion Ink is. Their preorder release was full of problems and they have a ton of issues with their fine print. Mainly, if you return the product because it is defective, it can cost you a ton of money to return it. Notion Ink is the only company I have seen that is proposing charging a fee on returns of defective equipment. Returning just for returning I can somewhat understand a small fee - but defective? They will not stay in business with that business model.

I have been a huge fan of NI but there are huge red flags on this company right now. Wait until at least March to see if they straighten some of this out before jumping on board.

Reactions: barneystuta
Upvote 0
That was actually a genius or two at Google. Smart move.

Not to get TOO FAR off-topic - but you might check out what's happening in tablets - especially the Notion Ink, that's the one I've got my eye on.

Following that, you might share my conjecture about why HTC recently put out a call for jobs for engineers experienced with displays, especially e-ink.

Keep an eye at Tablets & MIDs - Android Forums to stay up on some of the new things coming.

This QI pixel display tech is fascinating! But throwing that kind of money around at a unknown player makes me think twice. What kind of support will they offer for this tablet? How long will they be around? Should I just buy the bad ass HoneyComb tablet from a established company like Motorola? :thinking:

Upvote 0
I moved your post here so you can see some other reactions to the same sort of idea.

I've also been favoring the Cruz myself - but the Motorola is coming on strong.

It depends a bit on how lucky you feel. There's always a risk with being an early adopter - no question whatsoever.

I'm just stuck on the Pixel Qi tech - at least until I can get my hands on one for sure.

Upvote 0
I moved your post here so you can see some other reactions to the same sort of idea.

I've also been favoring the Cruz myself - but the Motorola is coming on strong.

It depends a bit on how lucky you feel. There's always a risk with being an early adopter - no question whatsoever.

I'm just stuck on the Pixel Qi tech - at least until I can get my hands on one for sure.

I would love to see a prototype in person. Just to see if the Qi display is all what its hyped up to be. Is there any other devices that are in the wild that use this sort of tech? Or do they have the Iron grip on it?

Upvote 0
I would love to see a prototype in person. Just to see if the Qi display is all what its hyped up to be. Is there any other devices that are in the wild that use this sort of tech? Or do they have the Iron grip on it?

Here's the company's blog (fun vid there) -

What’s Happening at Pixel Qi – Mary Lou Jepsen’s Blog

Here it is for sale from a DIY supplier -

Pixel Qi display

And another display tech that may become a front-runner - perhaps later next year - the Qualcomm Mirasol.

The Pixel Qi has some shortcomings, like display angle - doesn't affect me.

If I can track down shipped-with products, I'll post back.

Upvote 0
I agree they'd be great - but they wouldn't be able to switch over to an e-ink mode - and that's worth the price of admission for me.

Ahh E ink, Thats a great point. Sort of like having a full blown tablet and a eReader all in one. This should surely help with the battery life. :cool:

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones