• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ADB Refuses to Work

Assuming your running windows check your device manager....with your phone plugged in... you should see a MotorolaA500... or something to that effect listed IF you correctly installed the drivers.... if not you'll see the an exclamation mark next to what is probably your phone.... but not correctly installed.

If your see the MotorolaA500 listed... To verify your phone is accessible type adb devices at the command prompt . This should return a serial number... if it does your good. If it does not verify that you have the right drivers.

Other things to consider:

Has SDK downloaded and updated all the packages?.

When your at the command prompt... your in the sdk default directory correct?... so ..e.g. C:\AndroidSDK .

Did you veryify that adb is indeed working?. In the adb directory type adb and enter... you should get page full of feedback listings.

Upvote 0
Motorola A855 is listed in my Device Manager. My SDK folder is located at C:\Android\android-sdk. I was under the impression in order to begin you have to be in the tools folder, not just the sdk folder? Either way, "adb devices" does not display anything when the prompt is pointed at both folders.

When I try to run "SDK Setup.exe" I get: "Failed to fetch URL https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/repository.xml, reason: HTTPS SSL error. You might want to force download through HTTP in the settings."

Upvote 0
Your drivers are fine. The problem is that you haven't installed the packages for your Droid. In the SDK setup settings(I forget exactly where..click around) you will see the force https checkbox. Check it then download the needed packages(Android 2.01 and 2.1). Once the packages are in, you can navigate to to "tools" folder and get started:)

It did this for me the first time... way back when. Pain in the arse it was... lol :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Check and see if any security software on your machine is interfering with the detection over the USB. Then try a different USB port. And if you are going through a USB hub, try going directly to the back of the computer (thereby eliminating one o the hubs, as the computer usually allocates its own native USB slots via a pseudo hub also. That is as best a I can explain it....)

Upvote 0
Further reading into this thread has reminded me of something. When I first hooked my Droid up to the very PC I am typing this on right now, the PC would not recognize the Droid no matter what I did. I never did find the exact cause of the issue, but it was PC related. This PC was due for a reinstall of Vista anyhow, and once I did that all was well and has been since.

I wish I could say exactly what the problem was, but unfortunately as I said I never found out.:thinking:

Upvote 0
Hey I'm new to this forum and to programming android. I was having the same problem with my xp computer not seeing my phone. The last info given was to kill-server then start-server. It said something about the daemon hasn't started and then it started successfully. Now I can see my device thanks alot and to the person that was having a problem try this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones