• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root adb remount - Operation not permitted

vonedaddy

Dec 18, 2009
I just got a new incredible (upgrade from eris) and I just rooted it using unrevoked. I tried to use adb like I am used to doing with my eris but it seems I do not have root permission (although I do have super user app and its working from what I can tell).

??

[root@studio ~]# adb remount
remount failed: Operation not permitted
[root@studio ~]# adb shell
$ getprop ro.secure

Any ideas?

I just got a new incredible (upgrade from eris) and I just rooted it using unrevoked. I tried to use adb like I am used to doing with my eris but it seems I do not have root permission (although I do have super user app and its working from what I can tell).

??

[root@studio ~]# adb remount
remount failed: Operation not permitted
[root@studio ~]# adb shell
$ getprop ro.secure

Any ideas?

It looks like you don't have su. Try running unrevoked again.

Upvote 0
I tried running it again with the same results. It says Done! and leaves me at the recovery screen. I select reboot now and all seems good.

I did see this in my terminal (I am doing this from linux)

[root@studio unrevoked]# ./reflash
unrEVOked recovery reflash tool
git 7bb95e5
ERROR: n = -1, errno = 19 (No such device)
[root@studio unrevoked]#

Please any help is appreciated!

Upvote 0
I tried running it again with the same results. It says Done! and leaves me at the recovery screen. I select reboot now and all seems good.

I did see this in my terminal (I am doing this from linux)

[root@studio unrevoked]# ./reflash
unrEVOked recovery reflash tool
git 7bb95e5
ERROR: n = -1, errno = 19 (No such device)
[root@studio unrevoked]#

Please any help is appreciated!

I understood that you were running linux. (The first time I used unrevoked I did it using my netbook running Ubuntu).

Not too sure what the error means, it's been a while since I ran unrevoked in Linux but I don't think I got an error.

By chance are you using an older version? If I recall correctly, the older release did not include su (I'd already rooted using the old method and was just using unrevoked to update Clockwork).

Upvote 0
I understood that you were running linux. (The first time I used unrevoked I did it using my netbook running Ubuntu).

Not too sure what the error means, it's been a while since I ran unrevoked in Linux but I don't think I got an error.

By chance are you using an older version? If I recall correctly, the older release did not include su (I'd already rooted using the old method and was just using unrevoked to update Clockwork).

I just downloaded unrevoked today if that is what your asking, and I am using fedora 13.

BTW, thank you for your help.

Upvote 0
AHHA! I might be a moron but I am a persistent moron.

I just realized that I can ONLY use su or root command when in recovery mode. I am not sure why, and I wish someone would explain it to me. I am thinking it had something to do with the stock kernel from what I have read.

Anyway, if I boot into recovery mode (Volume Down + Power) I am automatically root in adb. I am assuming the phone works this way even if you havent rooted it?

Upvote 0
AHHA! I might be a moron but I am a persistent moron.

I just realized that I can ONLY use su or root command when in recovery mode. I am not sure why, and I wish someone would explain it to me. I am thinking it had something to do with the stock kernel from what I have read.

Anyway, if I boot into recovery mode (Volume Down + Power) I am automatically root in adb. I am assuming the phone works this way even if you havent rooted it?

No, that's not the case here like I said, I'm at a loss why you don't have su in adb shell without being in recovery. It looks like the su didn't get installed.

Upvote 0
Try this:
Unzip the attached file, then while in recovery with /system/ mounted, try pushing the extracted su to /system/bin/

Then in adb shell chmod 06755 /system/bin su

[root@putorius TEMP]# unzip su.zip
Archive: su.zip
extracting: su

[root@putorius TEMP]# adb push su /system/bin
498 KB/s (22128 bytes in 0.043s)
[root@putorius TEMP]# adb shell

~ # chmod 06755 /system/bin/su
~ # exit

rebooting phone now... We will see....

Upvote 0
NO LOVE:

[root@putorius TEMP]# adb devices
List of devices attached
HT07VHJ04261 device

[root@putorius TEMP]# adb shell
$ su
Permission denied
$

Which version of Clockwork Recovery do you have? The version that came with the latest unrevoked is 2.5.0.1. I can send you the update I initially used to root my phone (long method), but that will downgrade Clockwork and the Superuser apk. Rerunning unrevoked afterwards should upgrade those.

Upvote 0
Sorry was swamped at work for a few days....

I do have 2.5.0.1 installed already.

I understand. I too got swamped with work and home issues and haven't had much time to look into the issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the current status is that you can su from adb shell while not in recovery (though you specifically have to issue the su command), however you can not perform other adb commands while not in recovery. Also when booted in recovery, you can do everything normally. Is that about it?

Upvote 0
I understand. I too got swamped with work and home issues and haven't had much time to look into the issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the current status is that you can su from adb shell while not in recovery (though you specifically have to issue the su command), however you can not perform other adb commands while not in recovery. Also when booted in recovery, you can do everything normally. Is that about it?

Yes sir

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones