• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ADB Shell on Clockwork/Cyanogen - not working, help, please

Redflea

Android Expert
Oct 6, 2009
I want to clean my Droid completely and reinstall...booted into clockwork recovery, opened cmd window, and...it's not working.

Wassup - appreciate any help. I'm on Cyanogenmod 5.0.5.6, and clockwork is the most recent available.

C:\>cd android\tools

C:\Android\tools>adb shell
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
~ # format SYSTEM:
format SYSTEM:
/sbin/sh: format: not found
~ #

I found the format options under the Partition menu...but want to know why I can't use adb shell.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies...yeah, as noted I know about the format commands available in clockwork, but don't like the fact that ADB doesn't seem to function with Cyanogenmod for me...I don't know much about bash, guess I'll have to do some reading.

Droidsuks - SU is not required when you boot into recovery - at least not on sprecovery, and I assumed clockwork was the same. I guess I can try that...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies...yeah, as noted I know about the format commands available in clockwork, but don't like the fact that ADB doesn't seem to function with Cyanogenmod for me...I don't know much about bash, guess I'll have to do some reading.

Droidsuks - SU is not required when you boot into recovery - at least not on sprecovery, and I assumed clockwork was the same. I guess I can try that...

It's worth a try I guess.... do you have to mount system when in clock before you execute the commands?.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones