1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Add a contact for Gmail notifications

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by geoclooney, Jun 21, 2011.

1. geoclooney

geoclooney Lurker
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    I have set up Gmail to forward emails as a text message to my Charge. Obviously the entire email doesn't come through, but there's enough there to let me know whether or not I need to open my email and read it right away.

The process works well, except for one annoying thing. The messages are delivered from an unusual address that for the life of me I can't save as a contact. The address is "johndoe+caf_=0123456789=vtext.com@gmail.com" where the "johndoe" is my Gmail name and the number is my 10-digit phone number. I'd like to set up this contact so when I get a message it will say it's coming from "My Gmail" or something more elegant than the mess of letters & symbols.

However, when I open the message and try to find the "add sender to contacts" option, it seems I have a couple of choices:

Add "0123456789" as a contact
    Add "vtext.com@gmail.com" as a contact

After some poking around, I was able to manually create a contact called "New Email" that had "johndoe+caf_=0123456789=vtext.com@gmail.com" as the email address. Nevertheless, new Gmail notifications don't say they're from "New Email," they instead say they're from "johndoe+caf..."

Oddly, when I try to "reply" to one of my Gmail notifications, the phone says "Cannot send this message...Your message's recipient has bad number."

Anyone else seen this or know how to fix it?

Advertisement

2. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Territory Manager
    Why not just have your email sync to your phone?

You do realize it is based as a push system right? It will only pull data from the servers when their is a new email, so it's not like it wastes battery...