1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Add a shortcut to a web page

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by MartinAS, Nov 17, 2020.

1. MartinAS

MartinAS Lurker

Anyone know how to do this in ADW Launcher 2?

There are a few sites I would like to have one-click access to, but got the life of me I can't figure out how to configure this

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

If you are using Chrome, hit the 3 dots upper right, then choose add to home screen option

MrJavi likes this.
  3. MartinAS

MartinAS Lurker

That doesn't work for me. I get a notification that it was added to home screen, but nothing appears... Even when the home screen is set as a blank page.

This is a common complaint on the Play Store reviews for the launcher. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a workaround.

LG G8x on Android 10

4. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

I suggest nova launcher, which works fine for me

#4 Dannydet, Nov 17, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    mikedt and MrJavi like this.
  5. MartinAS

MartinAS Lurker

This is the ADW Launcher 2 forum.

Suggesting I change launchers is not a useful response.

Thanks, though

MoodyBlues likes this.
  6. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

I think you just copy and add it to the home screen.

@MoodyBlues Care to weigh in?

mikedt likes this.
  7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Maybe email the ADW Launcher 2 devs, and suggest that they add the feature you want to their launcher? Of course I've never used this launcher myself, so can't help you otherwise.

Dannydet and MrJavi like this.
  8. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

:)

Dannydet and mikedt like this.
  9. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums, MartinAS! :)

I don't put icons on my home screens, so I've never needed to do this. A few attempts at what I believe you're after, i.e., one, one-touch icon/shortcut per URL, didn't work--but!

Could you live with this workaround?

Screenshot_20201118-095047.png

What you're seeing is a widget, resizeable as desired and scrollable, that contains Chrome's bookmarks. You could create a bookmark group in Chrome that only contains the few sites you want. Place the widget, navigate to that bookmark group, open it, then just leave it like that.

If you size the widget to display all of your desired bookmarks, then from that point on you'd be able to single-click any of them to go to that page.

I don't know how much help you need, so if this isn't enough, let me know! :D

- on a home screen, long-press to bring up ADW's menu

- choose 'Widgets'

- press Chrome

- select its 'Chrome bookmarks' widget and drag it to its desired location

- size as desired

- press anywhere else on the home screen to save it

- you're done!

MrJavi likes this.
  10. MartinAS

MartinAS Lurker

Thanks MoodyBlues

I had seen the chrome bookmarks widget but hadn't thought of using a custom bookmark group. It's not perfect, but it would work.

It seems strange that there's no simple action or activity that would just involve a web address, like on a Windows shortcut menu. Oh well.

11. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

You're welcome, @MartinAS. I know it's not perfect, but hopefully it'll work for you. I agree that there ought to be a direct way of doing it....but, whatever!

BTW, I'm happy to see another ADW user around here! It's always me against the 'use Nova, it's the best launcher!' gang. :D

MrJavi likes this.
  12. 0301chris

0301chris Lurker

same problem. it used to work b/c I have some older urls on my homescreen. but I cannot replicate their settings and cannot add new ones. "add to homescreen" in chrome always confirms the action but no icon shows up. very strange

ADW.Launcher

ADW.Launcher Forum

org.adw.launcher

READ MORE
Last Updated
Rating
Installs