1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Add email account issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Christopher L Walker, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Christopher L Walker

I changed the password on an att.net email account via my PC. I could not change the password on the account on my phone, so I deleted the account. Now when I try to add the account back in, I get a message that says 'User name or password incorrect'. The account works fine on the PC. ATT support is no help, more than 2 hours of people telling me they are not the right one to talk to and either transferring me or giving me another phone number. I did try to search the forum first but couldn't find anything. Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Chris

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Try going into settings>apps and find whatever email client you are using and clear the data and cache. Then, just to be safe, reboot the phone and then try to add it back using the new password.

puppykickr, Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.
  3. Christopher L Walker

How do I know which app is my 'email client'? Sorry for the ignorance.

Chris

4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

what app does it say when you go to your emails? that is where you need to clear cache and data from.

puppykickr likes this.
  5. Christopher L Walker

So...I went to Settings/apps/all and found 'Email' (the one with the envelop icon with a card with an @ sign). The app is not running, but after clearing data and cache and powering off the phone, when I look at the app again, there are 688KB of data and 24KB of cache. If the app is not running, why is that? Where is that coming from? Needless to say, when I try to add the att.net account, I still get the incorrect username or password message.

I have a gmail account that I use for my personal email and an outlook.com account that I use for a secondary account on platforms like LinkedIn and a few other things. I mostly use the att.net account for things I don't need to reply to, 'Your order has shipped' and that sort. I can access it from my phone by using a browser and logging in. That is of course a pain, but if it is what I have to live with, I guess I will.

Chris

6. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

That 'Email' app is probably the standard system app.

It is probably a piece of junk, and my better judgement tells me that none of the seasoned people on this forum use it on their devices.

Don't worry about that insignificant amount of data sticking around in that app.

You may be able to link all (or however many you want) of your e-mail accounts into one e-mail app, and access each one individually.

There are many different ones available.

I am not sure, but your G-mail app may be able to do this.

Screenshot_2020-08-17_02-52-23_1.jpg

7. Christopher L Walker

Thanks, puppykickr, for the response. When I go to settings/accounts/add account, the options are limited. There are two with the email logo I described above. One is Email, the other is Corporate, but that creates an Exchange account. Three others have the gmail logo. One is listed as Exchange, one as Personal(IMAP) and one as Personal(POP3). I did try the Personal(IMAP) and got the same incorrect password message. If there is a way to find some 'other' option, let me know. The main thing I use the att.net address for is online shopping. I get the 'your order has shipped' message and then ignore the mounds of ads that I don't care about. Once a month or so I go in and delete them all. I don't really want all the messages coming to one inbox. That's why I have the three accounts. Thanks.

Chris

8. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Then try this app.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.b44t.messenger/

Yes, it is set up as a messaging app- but on e-mail.

You can use it as an e-mail app.

A bonus is the dark theme available for use.

Keep in mind that there is probably a setting somewhere in your e-mail account to allow access to your account by third party apps.
    (So that apps not from the e-mail provider can access your account.)

This alone could be your issue, or one of them.

The other option is to just use the browser on your device.

AT&T will be of no/little help, because they are the phone company, not the developer of whatever app you are using or whoever is running your e-mail system.

To actually contact the right folks, you need to get into your account and the settings, then look for 'About'.

Here is where you usually find contact information.

Often it will just be an e-mail address.

Motorola Droid Ultra Forum

The Motorola Droid Ultra release date was August 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 10MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2130mAh battery.

August 2013
Release Date
Reviews