• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Add Emoji To Samsung S4 Keyboard

D

Deleted User

When I touch the emoji symbol on my keyboard, I get a list of emoji groups as follows:- clock / smiley / crown / animal / house / asterisk
Is it possible to add a new emoji to the existing selections on a Galaxy S4 keyboard e.g. shamrock. Also, is it possible to create a new "group" of emojis where I could just have my favourite or most commonly used ones?

T

Thanks chanchan05. I've had a look at Swiftkey on the web. I don't like a keyboard where I have to press a 123 button in order to be able to type numbers. The one I am using at the moment has a display which includes numbers on a separate row at the top. Any ideas?

T

Upvote 0
Thanks chanchan05. I've had a look at Swiftkey on the web. I don't like a keyboard where I have to press a 123 button in order to be able to type numbers. The one I am using at the moment has a display which includes numbers on a separate row at the top. Any ideas?

T
Go into SwiftKey settings and check "show number row".

Upvote 0
Really? I thought you said that the Samsung keyboard didn't have a shamrock? The Swiftkey keyboard has one. Open the emoji selection, go to the flower icon thingy (between the crown and car), then scroll down. The shamrock is right between the maple and rose emoji.

As for most commonly used ones, the top row of the emoji keyboard shows your more recent ones. I don't know of a keyboard that lets you create a new group.

Upvote 0
Really? I thought you said that the Samsung keyboard didn't have a shamrock? The Swiftkey keyboard has one. Open the emoji selection, go to the flower icon thingy (between the crown and car), then scroll down. The shamrock is right between the maple and rose emoji.

SwiftKey emoji keyboard.
2143fbaa5b660edc32cdc9f2e879c982.jpg

Upvote 0
You have different icons for some reason.

Pardon the red filter

8de3383ec660f34783730308a69fce64.jpg

EDIT: Oh, before I forget, swiftkey has a long press function. Which means you can type numbers even without pressing the 123 button, or activating number row. The top row of letters also shows the numbers. And other letters show other punctuation marks. Long pressing the corresponding letter will also type in that number or punctuation mark.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
OK so I don't think there's a shamrock in the current emoji version. As you're probably aware emoji was a Japanese invention, but is very popular here in China as well. That's why it's got things like chopsticks, bowls of noodles and rice, Shinkansen bullet trains, and lots of cutesy animals.

I did read somewhere about revising and expanding standard emoji to include more regional and cultural items from around the world, such as a shamrock, but everyone would have to have it, not just the sender.

Last edited:
Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones