1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Add Gmail sender to contacts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cquinn, Jan 14, 2011.

1. cquinn

cquinn Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    L.A.
    Maybe I'm missing something here but I cannot find a shortcut to add a senders information to my contacts when I recieve a new email from someone. If l Long-press a message in Gmail I get one of the following - read, archive, mute, mark read, delete, add star, change labels, report spam. But no choice to add sender to contacts. No choice when pressing menu either.

If you Long-press an entry in your Call History you can view more details, edit the phone number, send a text message, delete it, or add the info to the contacts stored in People.

Why do I have to copy and paste the info into a new contacts when using Gmail?

Advertisement

2. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Open the email, then press on the sender's picture (or what would be a picture). You will be prompted to add them as a contact.

cquinn likes this.
  3. cquinn

cquinn Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    L.A.
    That did it. Again you come to my rescue. Thanks

4. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    No problem :). You'll probably find that tapping on a contact picture will give you different options like that in different apps.

5. BeachBlues

BeachBlues Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2012
    New forum member. Need some guidance. For the most part, I've used the gmail app in Google Chrome, which contains all the options to add a sender to the address book. However, on both my ASUS tablet and Droid phone, using the gmail app, I can tap the picture next to the sender, which brings up a contacts icon for selection. I can edit the contact, adding the first/last name and then closing/saving the entry. No matter what I've tried, I cannot then go to my contacts list and see the entry. I've gone to accounts and sync and manually ran a sync, but it still does not appear. When I try to send an email to that user, the address DOES come up for selection, so it's in there somewhere. Anybody got any ideas beyond what I've tried?

6. lmgeag

lmgeag Lurker
    None

Aug 26, 2012
    Beach Blues: when you "create new contact" and the new contact screen comes up, look to the far right at the top and you will see a pull down arrow. At the left it will say contact type. When you pull the arrow down choices will come up. You must choose google as the contact type, otherwise it will default to the phone only contact (ie verizon for me). It took me a while to figure this out, as any new contacts I added did not appear in my gmail. Once I figured it out, it works great and its easy.

Thanks to akazabam for the solution to adding contacts from the email on the phone. That was really puzzling me and I am happy to have the answer.
    :)

Tags: