1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Add hotmail email with icon to screen

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by cwr64, May 13, 2020.

1. cwr64

cwr64 Newbie

Know little about cell phones.
    Have new Moto E5 Play with Android 8.0 connected to ATT.
    I tried to add my hotmail web email to phone but cannot find the icon to launch it
    I added the account as imap and it appeared to add OK but - no icon anywhere on my phone. Then I launched the gmail icon and then clicked its menu hamburger and I can see that both the gmail and hotmail accounts are "there" - but again - no icon where I can launch my hotmail as I did on my previous cellphone.
    How to fix?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. tommo47

tommo47 On Yer Bike, In Yer Chair
    VIP Member

I've added my Hotmail to the Gmail app and use the 'Shortcut' and 'Gmail Label’ functions so I can open the Hotmail account directly from a Home page.

Screenshot_20200513-215650.png

#2 tommo47, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    ocnbrze and MoodyBlues like this.
  3. cwr64

cwr64 Newbie

I do not understand your reply, If I launch the Gmail icon and then click on the Gmail hamburger icon, and then select "all" i can see the list of all emails from my hotmail and from Gmail. I see no way to create an icon that will launch only my hotmail. Also, after launching the Gmail icon, I can click (upper right corner of screen) the small icon that is a circle with a white "C" (I assume that is my initial) in the middle of it, and the next screen shows me my choice of which of the 2 mail accounts (Gmail or hotmail) and if I select hotmail, it lists all and only my hotmail email titles. I see NO way to create a home screen icon that will launch only my hotmail. I see nothing called "shortcut" that I could use/modify/clickon.

4. tommo47

VIP Member

You have to create the Gmail Label shortcut using the 'Shortcut' function.

Longpress on a Home page then select 'Add apps and widgets' and select 'Shortcuts' :-

Screenshot_20200513-223901.png
    Then tap 'Gmail label' which goes into your Home page and you can edit it as you choose.

Screenshot_20200513-223916.png

This is on my HTC 10 and is the same on my Google Pixel 3a.

#4 tommo47, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    ocnbrze, MoodyBlues and Deleted User like this.
  5. steiny180

steiny180 Android Enthusiast

1. Using the chrome browser, go to your hotmail account.
    2. Tap the chrome browser options
    3. Select add to home screen
    4. Thank me very much
    5. All done

PitCarver, ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  6. cwr64

cwr64 Newbie

I added the little icon that looks a bit like a red rocket and set it to open hotmail. Not 100% the way you said - probably because my phone is a Moto and your phone may be different, maybe not ATT, and maybe not Android 8. Anyway THANK YOU. One more question - how do I, in general, add icons for apps that are missing their icon?

PitCarver, tommo47 and ocnbrze like this.
  7. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

apps that are missing icons? Never heard of such a thing. All apps should have some sort short cut icon.

8. cwr64

cwr64 Newbie

I know. I remember my -2 Android phone did have "missing icons" and I never learned how to get/create icons for them. I recall that when I added an app from the Playstore, I would first get a message that the app was installed, then shortly after that I would get another message that the shortcut was added to the "desktop". I added 2 apps to my new phone today and neither of them put out any message that the shortcut was added. But both apps created their icons as they should have.

ocnbrze likes this.
  9. ocnbrze

some depending on the phone, it might be a setting option to have a shortcut installed on the homescreen. on my note 10+ i do not get this option which is fine by me. are the apps showing up in your app drawer at least?

10. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

It depends on the launcher you're using. I use ADW, and can add/remove app icons from my app drawer easily. I don't use [or want] desktop/home screen icons, but if I did, they're easily added.

Are you using the stock launcher that came with your device?

ocnbrze likes this.
  11. cwr64

cwr64 Newbie

Stock launcher. New cheap phone from ATT/Amazon. I have hardly changed anything. I don't even know what an app drawer is - I'm guessing it's that screen that has dozens of icons on it.

12. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

App Drawer has always been the confusing tittle for the apps list, ie not a Homescreen (you can have more than one) or what appears when you tap the centre icon in the bottom dock (the 5 immovable though changeable icons at the bottom that include the Phone app and messaging app.

I also have had Motorolas and currently a bare bones Nokia (similar).

I uncheck a box which says Automatically add new icons to a Homescreen (when you install a new app.

To have a select few app icons on a Homescreen you organise, just long press on that aop in the app drawer / alphabetical list and slide it off on to a Homescreen that appears..

You can also long press an emoty place on a Homescreen and select Widgets..Most apps have a few you can resize. Discover the wonderful world of widgets, although I don't bother much anymore.

ocnbrze likes this.
  13. cwr64

cwr64 Newbie

@Tony Madden The center bottom icon (of the 5) is a little circle that takes me to what I assume is my home screen - where I see the 5 icons, a clock up above, and an area above that for typing something into or saying "hey Google". Above the center small circle are the 5 icons, the center one being for Chrome. Right above that is a small upside down "v". If I click the "v" I get a screen that is filled with tons of icons, and that is what I assume is the app drawer.

14. ocnbrze

yep that is your app drawer. it is just a list of your apps. you can long press them to add a short cut to your homescreen or not. you can launch the app directly from there as well.

Deleted User likes this.
  15. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Yeh. Bad description by me. If you don't have the app drawer you are on a default homescreen which you can configure yourself, move the search bar or remove, add icons, clock and weather widgets etc.
    The arrow slider would be how your Launcher now takes you to the app drawer. In the past by default the centre of the 5 bottom widgets in a dock would take you to the app drawer (I forget what that was called).

The middle button you are referring to is the Home button of the Three navigation buttons I assume, unless you have the new Android 10 swipe navigation on by default instead of the 3 navigation buttons.. I'm rusty on all this. On my Nokia Homescreen the middle of 5 dock buttons is the settings icon I put there instead of the app drawer button.
    Looking for alcohol... as I can't describe things anymore (ny fault)

Screenshot_20200514-150737.png

ocnbrze and cdows74 like this.
  16. cwr64

cwr64 Newbie

17. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

As @ocnbrze says, more than half the apps I use are direct from the app drawer. If I'm driving or need faster regular apps an icon on the main or a second homescreen (swipe left or right) is useful.

Nkw that I'm the centre of your attention :D I refrained from adding more tips yesterday, but Hotmail iirc is Microsoft product, anyway I have an Outlook. com address and find the Outlook email app very good,, and other MS apps. They're are many good 3rd party and default email apps like Yahoo whose icons you can use separately instead of off the one Google Gmail ap, tthough Google has good integration with Google Calendar and Maps etc

ocnbrze likes this.
  18. tommo47

VIP Member

I have a number of email accounts and have added them all to the Gmail app, each one having its own label for direct opening from a home screen folder.

I have used Gmail since the original Googlemail.com, and in some cases still use that format for sign in on various web sites.

I find Gmail serves me well and does everything I need it to do. I have never had any qualms about using Google services.

:)

ocnbrze and Deleted User like this.