1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Add IMAP to sync

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by nate51, Jan 15, 2011.

1. nate51

nate51 Newbie
    None

Oct 13, 2010
    Freelance Web Developer
    Mississauga, Ontario
    In Android under Settings/Accounts & Sync there seems to be no way to add the HTC mail program or even a specific IMAP account to the sync. Does anyone know a way around this without downloading a 3rd party app? I have read that you can add your IMAP accounts to Gmail, but I don't seem to have that option as it will only allow Gmail emails to be added, also does the sync, sync up the gmail app or just the specific gmail account?

Advertisement

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    The HTC Mail client doesn't support push email - but - you can specify the polling period individually for each account and what those rates should be in your primetime/offtime definitions. Those settings are within the apps. My work email updates every 5 minutes during business hours, every 4 hours otherwise. My friends and family email updates are kinda the opposite.

IMAP doesn't mean push - it's a management strategy for synchronizing your mail on the client vs. the server. That it supports connected and disconnected mode operations is what gives it the appearance of full push.

3. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Add it via your mail client.

You'd add accounts for gmail to check via the full gmail site -- not via the gmail app on your device.

It's really IMAP IDLE that does that. Push has nothing to do with connected/disconnected mode operations. It's all about the server pushing mail as it arrives to the client.