• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Add IMAP to sync

In Android under Settings/Accounts & Sync there seems to be no way to add the HTC mail program or even a specific IMAP account to the sync. Does anyone know a way around this without downloading a 3rd party app? I have read that you can add your IMAP accounts to Gmail, but I don't seem to have that option as it will only allow Gmail emails to be added, also does the sync, sync up the gmail app or just the specific gmail account?

The HTC Mail client doesn't support push email - but - you can specify the polling period individually for each account and what those rates should be in your primetime/offtime definitions. Those settings are within the apps. My work email updates every 5 minutes during business hours, every 4 hours otherwise. My friends and family email updates are kinda the opposite.

IMAP doesn't mean push - it's a management strategy for synchronizing your mail on the client vs. the server. That it supports connected and disconnected mode operations is what gives it the appearance of full push.

Upvote 0
In Android under Settings/Accounts & Sync there seems to be no way to add the HTC mail program or even a specific IMAP account to the sync.
Add it via your mail client.

I have read that you can add your IMAP accounts to Gmail, but I don't seem to have that option as it will only allow Gmail emails to be added, also does the sync, sync up the gmail app or just the specific gmail account?
You'd add accounts for gmail to check via the full gmail site -- not via the gmail app on your device.

IMAP doesn't mean push - it's a management strategy for synchronizing your mail on the client vs. the server. That it supports connected and disconnected mode operations is what gives it the appearance of full push.
It's really IMAP IDLE that does that. Push has nothing to do with connected/disconnected mode operations. It's all about the server pushing mail as it arrives to the client.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones