• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Add New Apps to Home Screen?

sachertorte

Apr 16, 2018
I just did a factory reset on my Note 3 which I have not used in years. I am going to use it as my main phone when traveling, using another SIM Card for data access out of the country. On my Z Fold 4, there is a Home Screen setting to enable or disable adding new apps to the home screen. As I am adding new apps to the Note 3, it is automatically also adding them to the Home Screen. Can I stop this on the Note 3? I have looked for a setting, but so far, no luck.

Danny

Your Note 3 is running Android 4.x (KitKat) or 5.x (Lollipop) isn't it? Your Z Fold 4 is running version 12, yes? Don't expect your Note 3 to have the same feature set as your Fold -- there's a more than significant difference between those two models as far as hardware configurations, the operating systems, and the user interface options.
Try what @Dannydet suggested, install and configure the Nova Launcher app on your Note. Or just keep using Samsung's TouchWiz launcher, and remove the apps you don't want on the Home screen when you finish setting up your Note for your trip. Is it that much of an inconvenience? How often are you going to be installing new apps once you're done setting things up?

Upvote 0
Your Note 3 is running Android 4.x (KitKat) or 5.x (Lollipop) isn't it? Your Z Fold 4 is running version 12, yes? Don't expect your Note 3 to have the same feature set as your Fold -- there's a more than significant difference between those two models as far as hardware configurations, the operating systems, and the user interface options.
Try what @Dannydet suggested, install and configure the Nova Launcher app on your Note. Or just keep using Samsung's TouchWiz launcher, and remove the apps you don't want on the Home screen when you finish setting up your Note for your trip. Is it that much of an inconvenience? How often are you going to be installing new apps once you're done setting things up?

Hi
It isn't really much of an inconvenience at all. I just wanted to set it the way I described if the option to do so was there. It would be a convenience feature that would be nice and that would allow my phones to operate similarly. In short, I thought I should at least look to see if the option was there, then use it if it was. If not, no big deal. I'll remove the added apps as I install them. Come to think of it, I vaguely remember when moving from the Note 3 to Note 8, the Note 8 behaved differently here and I thought it was odd at the time. It was set to not put apps on the home screen. I looked on the home screen settings again; nothing there. I also looked in the general settings again. I found nothing, so, as mentioned, that option must have come about later.

Danny

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones