1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Add notification tone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sam007, Jan 13, 2013.

1. sam007

sam007 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    Unrooted Verizon s3

Guys - how do i add a new notification tone? I already have an mp3 which I've used for 5 years and want to stick with it. There is no New button in notifications like one exists for ringtones and adding this mp3 in the Notifications folder doesn't help

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. GTWalling

GTWalling Android Expert
    None

Sep 9, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Notification sounds are changed in the app you want to use. Email and sms just open each and go into settings and you will see the option to change the notification sound.

3. sam007

sam007 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    Yes but each app will only show the sounds available to it on the phone. I'm talking about adding a brand new notification tone (an mp3 that I have on my computer)

4. jp0469

jp0469 Member
    None

May 26, 2010
    Create a folder on your SD card called "Notifications" (it might already be there) and then just drop the mp3 there. It should now show up when you go to pick a tone. You can also do the same with "Ringtones" and "Alarms" respectively.

5. boofer

boofer Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 1, 2011
    plug your phone into your computer. select Media device (MTP) so this shows up in windows explorer:

[​IMG]

there's a pre-set folder structure under "Phone" and whatever .wav/.mp3 files you have in your Notifications folder will show up when you assign different notification sounds within the phone and within different apps. the same thing goes for what you put in the alarms and ringtones folders as well.

6. davoid

davoid Android Expert

Aug 3, 2011
    London
    First of all, drop the mp3 into the notification folder or wherever you want to keep it (where you keep it is not important, as you'll see).

Then install a file manager such as ES File Explorer (which I recommend).

Then when you go to change the ringtone or notification tone, you will be offered the option to choose the system sounds (which were available before), or to use ES File Explorer. You can choose to use it Just Once, then the app will open and you can browse to where the file is stored and select it.

:)