• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Addicted to flashing roms????

So I have been using Paranoid Android for a few months with no complaints. Battery life (with Franco Kernel) has been very good in my opinion. Stability and speed, no complaints. Options, awesome....

So I ask myself why I want to try others??? I always feel like there is something better out there...

My question to you all is this: Is there something better out there than PA in your opinion?

I tried AXI0M rom and loved it, but it ran hot when playing movies and a game where PA ran much cooler.

My needs: I need battery life like I get with PA (or close to it) I need PIE so I can run full screen. I need the usual 4 buttons on PIE (menu being the 4th)
I also need to be able to run LTE on T-mobile...NO NEED for HALO.

So does it sound like I am already on the perfect rom for my needs, OR is there really something better out there for ME?

Thanks for your comments/Input!!!!!!

Reactions: nixie21
Upvote 0
Carbon ROM is a favorite around here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2137013

You could also try LiquidSmooth ROM:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2221501

Or AOKP:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2025939

I personally prefer ParanoidAndroid with Franco's kernel like yourself, but it never hurts to try out other setups.

Hmmm, a like the sound of dark carbon.... Maybe worth a shot.. Would you recommend the release or nightly?

Thanks so much!

Upvote 0
Carbon ROM is a favorite around here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2137013

You could also try LiquidSmooth ROM:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2221501

Or AOKP:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2025939

I personally prefer ParanoidAndroid with Franco's kernel like yourself, but it never hurts to try out other setups.

Hmmm, a like the sound of dark carbon.... Maybe worth a shot.. Would you recommend the release or nightly? Should I use their gapps or can I use the modified one I did for PA?

Thanks so much!

Upvote 0
Hmmm, a like the sound of dark carbon.... Maybe worth a shot.. Would you recommend the release or nightly? Should I use their gapps or can I use the modified one I did for PA?

Thanks so much!

Always use the gapps that the ROM dev recommends. I wouldn't use the PA gapps for Carbon ROM.

As for which version of the ROM you should run it is really up to you. You'd be safest with the latest release version, but the latest nightly may work perfectly fine.

EDIT: Here is a link to the latest release version of Carbon ROM for the Nexus 4:
http://goo.im/devs/carbon/mako/release

And here are the gapps you should use:
http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip

Reactions: nixie21
Upvote 0
I've been a fan of Eclipse. I've used it on my Fascinate(GS1), Droid Charge(GS1 w/ LTE), and GNex. It's totally inverted theme really helped with battery life on the AMOLED screens. The dev just recently started supporting the Nexus 4, so that's what I'm running. Not noticing much improvement in battery life using an LCD, but it's not worse than what AOKP gave either.

Upvote 0
Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
I'm a huge fan of Carbon, it's really fast and has a ton of features. I've tried others with very similar features and Carbon just gets it right and makes it all work well in my opinion. I'm more of a feature-freak than the close to stock experience. Nothing wrong with either, I just prefer to be able to tweak my phone to look and function how I want it to. Hard to give up all those extras!

I recently tried Illusion (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2338448) and have fallen pretty hard for it as well. It's super fast and has an amazing Key Lime Pie theme packaged with it, you just have to go to themes in settings and apply it. It has a couple of features that make me want to try and run with it for a while. I like its menus and options. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the non-PA PIE. It's still very functional and works really well but I'll probably always prefer PA's offical PIE. According to the thread author, it's going to incorporate ribbons and PA's actual hybrid settings soon so I'm going to ride it out and see if that happens. Though you don't care for HALO, it's in there with a color chooser in the menu. Pretty nifty.

Anyone who loves Carbon and just loves to flash like I do, I'd say it's worth a try. I keep current backups of Carbon and MIUI at all times for flashing back to my backbone favorites.

Regardless, enjoy and flash responsibly! Loooove this phone, gives us power and LOTS of fun options.

Upvote 0
Because I'm tired of flashing roms every other day, I've stuck with Eclipse. Love the dark theme they use. But with CM coming out with new additions I may give CM another try. But for now, I'll try to stick with Eclipse as long as possible.

I personally love using Rootbox or Pac. That's the total customization rom in my opinion. I also loved a rom called Axiom but something happened and now the work is gone.

Reactions: SemeteryRocker
Upvote 0
I've been running Liquidsmooth for a few weeks now. It is fast, very customizable, has never crashed or given me a problem.
Today, i decided to try Paranoid. I literally had it installed for 20 mins and decided I didn't like it. Doesn't seem to have as much customization to it compared to Liquid. So I decided to give Carbon a try after reading so many good things about it.
I had this on for a bit longer. Went through the settings and again, it didn't have as much custominzation as Liquid does or at least I don't think so. I guess i am just used to how Liquid is running and how I have it set up that I couldn't bother with these other two. I'm sure Paranoid and Carbon are great ROMS but there is just something about Liquid.
I really suggest anyone interested in a new ROM to try Liquidsmooth out.

FYI, flashing with Goomanager is friggen easy...

Upvote 0
+1000 for Carbon, use that with the PA kernel and your battery life will be superb (mine was anyway).

I'm running XenonHD now (again with the PA kernel) and battery life is similar to Carbon and it's about as feature laden. It also has a dark option as well. That's worth a go at some point.

I flashed XenonHD Last night, im still playing with it, is a good rom.

Im ready to flash the recent stable rom from CM10.1.0 It was released on 6/24

im just having problems trying to download the gapps zip, its taking ages to download.

Upvote 0
im just having problems trying to download the gapps zip, its taking ages to download.

If it's from Goo, it can be dreadfully slow some days. My experience is that it's been much quicker in the overnight hours (US time).

For the crack-flashers like myself, just wanted to drop a couple of links for ROMs I've tested recently:

MIUI: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2327158
-- I've used it off and on for a while and the theme side of it is really second to none. The experience just 'feels' so different. I'm sure most are familiar with MIUI but if you've never tried it, the link there will give you a great version with few bugs (and working LTE) to try out. It can easily be used as a daily driver, I've used it that way for a week or so in the past. Still keep it backed up in CWM so as to use it more.

ATOM: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2337462
-- Very feature rich (Halo, PIE, lots of fun tweaks that you'll find in others such as PAC minus Hybrid) but it is compiled by the latest and greatest whereas lots of ROM's offering so much are not. To be honest, it doesn't show much (if at all) on user-end experiences but it's nice to know you're playing with power (remember Nintendo's Power Glove?). The thread title itself calls it, "the real deal".

It's hard to beat the monster originals like PA, CM and AOKP. So many ROM's, so few hours in a day. :p That's a problem I'm happy to have though.

Upvote 0
If it's from Goo, it can be dreadfully slow some days. My experience is that it's been much quicker in the overnight hours (US time).

For the crack-flashers like myself, just wanted to drop a couple of links for ROMs I've tested recently:

MIUI: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2327158
-- I've used it off and on for a while and the theme side of it is really second to none. The experience just 'feels' so different. I'm sure most are familiar with MIUI but if you've never tried it, the link there will give you a great version with few bugs (and working LTE) to try out. It can easily be used as a daily driver, I've used it that way for a week or so in the past. Still keep it backed up in CWM so as to use it more.

ATOM: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2337462
-- Very feature rich (Halo, PIE, lots of fun tweaks that you'll find in others such as PAC minus Hybrid) but it is compiled by the latest and greatest whereas lots of ROM's offering so much are not. To be honest, it doesn't show much (if at all) on user-end experiences but it's nice to know you're playing with power (remember Nintendo's Power Glove?). The thread title itself calls it, "the real deal".

It's hard to beat the monster originals like PA, CM and AOKP. So many ROM's, so few hours in a day. :p That's a problem I'm happy to have though.

Muni has NO pie correct? I do not think i could live without PIE and expanded desktop!!!

Upvote 0
Muni has NO pie correct? I do not think i could live without PIE and expanded desktop!!!

Nope, no pie in there. I've used LMT with it and it works fine if you disable the navbar via a mod or something but it doesn't at all feel the same to me personally. It's a fun ROM but if you like pie and halo, it's probably not a main ROM you'd want to use daily.

Upvote 0
Ive tried Illusion Rom so far and I like it alot :D!! But the only problem on it for me is the performance. It changes the CPU frequency anytime it wants. Which gives me a weird lag. Also, PIE and Halo are the best on this as well! But i hate how pie doesn't show the toggles or your notifications on it like on normal PA PIE :(.

I do however like that key lime pie theme, that was pretty cool.

Upvote 0
Ive tried Illusion Rom so far and I like it alot :D!! But the only problem on it for me is the performance. It changes the CPU frequency anytime it wants. Which gives me a weird lag. Also, PIE and Halo are the best on this as well! But i hate how pie doesn't show the toggles or your notifications on it like on normal PA PIE :(.

I do however like that key lime pie theme, that was pretty cool.

What app are you using to control the CPU if I may ask? I've been using AK and Trinity and haven't noticed any lag so far. I can't recall which kernel came with the ROM but on both of those I use ondemand or interactive as the governor and they've been smooth. Hope that's not coming across wrong, just curious if you're using a custom kernel?

I too prefer PA pie, am still trying to adjust to slim pie as well. My biggest problem with it (and it's a positive for others) is that it doesn't stay centered, it pops up no matter where on the bottom you slide your finger up, I'd be happier if it was anchored to the center. It may be possible but I'm not sure how to do it as of yet. But, it's extremely customizable, so that's a plus. Haha.

Upvote 0
What app are you using to control the CPU if I may ask? I've been using AK and Trinity and haven't noticed any lag so far. I can't recall which kernel came with the ROM but on both of those I use ondemand or interactive as the governor and they've been smooth. Hope that's not coming across wrong, just curious if you're using a custom kernel?

I too prefer PA pie, am still trying to adjust to slim pie as well. My biggest problem with it (and it's a positive for others) is that it doesn't stay centered, it pops up no matter where on the bottom you slide your finger up, I'd be happier if it was anchored to the center. It may be possible but I'm not sure how to do it as of yet. But, it's extremely customizable, so that's a plus. Haha.

No app, just the performance then the cpu settings. Havent flashed kernels either. I wiped twice before i flashed as well. And for some odd reason, today all my apps force closed. Only ones i had open didnt

Upvote 0
No app, just the performance then the cpu settings. Havent flashed kernels either. I wiped twice before i flashed as well. And for some odd reason, today all my apps force closed. Only ones i had open didnt

Try this out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bigeyes0x0.trickstermod&hl=en

I use it to control any kernel I'm using, it's free and has a lot of options from min and max clock and governor down to changing colors to get it looking how you want it and (if the kernel allows) gamma which some ROMs such as PA do by default and get rid of the what many call the 'washed out' colors that are standard to the N4. And all settings seem to stick, just check 'enable' under the 'set on boot' menu in it. That should help your settings stick and give you some fun options to speed things up and/or save battery. It's good for any kernel on any ROM and, again, it's free unlike franco and faux's apps.

As for the fc's, I seem to get those when no one else ever does. Haha. I'm lucky that way. I always try reflashing the ROM over itself and wiping cache and dalvik, not wiping the data if I can help it. It usually fixes the issue but occasionally it may take a full, fresh start with the ROM. I haven't had any with Illusion yet though, so I'm guessing it's an oddity and a reflash should fix it.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones