• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Adding a line to get the upgrade discount.

Ok so did your original plans not have data plans? Like you already werent paying the extra $30 for data? and then you got the Thunderbolt with data on one of the lines? or did you have a phone that used data and now you used the upgrade on the new line? i dont understand how this worked out for you without having to pay an extra data fee. From what i understand, if you use a line to upgrade a phone, even if the phone doesnt stay on that line if you move it to another line with data your going to pay for both. Because if you already pay for data and dont have to with the new line after using it for an upgrade please explain how you did it because i really want this phone badly and i refuse to pay $500 for it.
Here is what i did. I have 2 lines on my account. One is droid x, the second one is droid 2. Both have data plan. I am not eligible to have any of those 2 lines upgrade as of yet. I have been told by salesperson to add another line to my family plan, then switch the TB to the number I want (droid x). I still being left with 3 lines, but since the 3rd one now is not needed, they use a dummy Eime number. It still shows on my account as 3rd number, but it is not a Smartphone, so it not requires a data plan. It is just a line, a phone number that you have to have for next 2 years, and you have to pay for it. Now, let say this line cost me only 9.99, times 48 months, equal $480. Plus taxes. It is well over $500, the cost for full TB price, but.......since I wanted this phone so badly, and I did not have those 500 bucks now, I decided to go this way. Not smart, you'd say - maybe. But I saved over 250 now, and have this bad boy in my pocket!
:D

Upvote 0
You probably should have just taken care of it in the store. I work for VZW and you have to understand that though Customer Care and the corporate stores are under the same company there are UGE disconnects between them that can get you in a weird situation like you are now. Were they out of stock? Sorry you've had so much trouble but you were also kind of skirting the system and you are using our first phone with a SIM card so the whole process is kind of messed up... did you suggest the store exchange your SIM that came with it? Then they could put the new SIM on your line and I would think that would work...

Oh since you work for vzw I have a question for that phone knowing I already have my lines maxed out I was going to buy the phone online 4m someone I had bought a stolen or lost phone before so I don't want to take the risk again but I heard for the thunderbolt it's activate by the sim card so if it is reported can it still be activated by getting another sim card?

Upvote 0
As I stated earlier, I activated a fourth line on my family account with data package to get the TB. They moved the TB to my line and put my Droid 2 on the new line. I changed it to an old Gzone phone online when I got home. It gave me an option for what data plan I wanted. I chose the pay as you go plan. It says that my plan will increase by 9.99.

Upvote 0
Each sim card is tied to a number XXX-XXX-XXXX, they only deactivate after 90days to be transferred to another number if im correct.

so when you activated your new line and got the new number the sim card went to that line, what you should have done was had your current phone activated on the new line and had the bolt activated on your line.

They would not allow that. Believe me, I wanted to do it that way.
It would've been much simpler.

They said that the new phone has to be activated on the new line, first. Then after that, I can do whatever I want.

Upvote 0
Wait a sec, how could you add a line with a smartphone for $10. I understand its to add a phone but to my understanding, even if you take that phone off the new line your still going to be paying for the data...even if there isnt a phone on it. So your going to be paying an extra $40 a month just to have the thunderbolt. That line wont even have a phone on it so essentially your paying for something thats not being used. Even if you put that flip phone on there, you still agreed to pay $30 a month for 2 years no matter what you put on it or if you dont use it. So the $10 for the line and the $30 for the data. I hope they made that clear to you. If this is not the case please someone correct me but i was told this before.

Yes, you have to add data to the new line. But as soon as I transfer the TB to my old line, I cancel the data plan for the new line, and it's back to $10 per month. In my case, I had an old cheapo Samsung flip-phone that I activated on the new line, so I could actually use the new line if I ever wanted to.

Upvote 0
Ok so did your original plans not have data plans? Like you already werent paying the extra $30 for data? and then you got the Thunderbolt with data on one of the lines? or did you have a phone that used data and now you used the upgrade on the new line? i dont understand how this worked out for you without having to pay an extra data fee. From what i understand, if you use a line to upgrade a phone, even if the phone doesnt stay on that line if you move it to another line with data your going to pay for both. Because if you already pay for data and dont have to with the new line after using it for an upgrade please explain how you did it because i really want this phone badly and i refuse to pay $500 for it.

Nope. As soon as you remove a smartphone from a line, you can cancel the data plan if you want to. The contract is just that you will pay for service on that line for at least 2 years. What kind of service you pay for is up to you. The only caveat being that if you activate a smartphone on the line, you must also add a data plan. But as soon as you deactivate the smartphone, you can cancel the data plan.

Upvote 0
There was no data plan or phone added to my new line. That was my number one worry but I was told they didn't need to add it to the new line since he was switching it over to my number in the end and my line already had a data plan on it. When I look at my account online I can see the new number but there is no phone associated with it. I don't know how he did it but it is working so far. I'll report back when I see my first bill :)

I did the same thing, except it's not a "dummy-number" it is a fully functional phone line. And I assigned a dumb-phone to that line. Hey, I'm paying for it, I might as well be able to use it if I want to.

Upvote 0
because i really want this phone badly and i refuse to pay $500 for it.

Well, if you do this, you will end up paying $250 for the TB.
And you will also be paying an extra $10 per month for the next 2 years, which adds up to $480.

So with the price of the discounted phone, combined with the additional service charges you will actually pay right at $730 for the TB.
You just don't have to pay it all at once. You are essentially paying the retail price. But if you consider that you are actually getting another line for that $480, if you use that line, you will come out ahead.

That flip-phone that I activated on the new line is pretty tiny. I might just carry it around with me to use when my TB battery dies. lol

edit:
Now that I looked, $730 is actually more than the retail price. They have come down a little. I know at first it was in the 700's.

Upvote 0
Since I have had the phone a week now, and won't be able to activate it until tonight. I haven't really messed with it that much. I have downloaded a few apps on wifi, and played angry-birds Rio a couple of times. But other than that, I have left it turned off. And I have left it plugged in to the charger. At least twice a day I will unplug it for a few hours, and then plug it back in. I left it unplugged all night, one night, and then plugged it back in in the morning.

I wonder what effect that will have on my battery life once I start using the phone everyday. Hopefully a good effect.

Upvote 0
The moral of the story for this thread is worded best by the great Canadian trio, Rush!

"You can't get something for nothing, you can't get something for free!"

As much as I don't like Rush, I'd have to agree with that sentiment.

But the Rolling Stones said it best.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find. You get what you need!"

I got what I wanted. I paid out the butt for it. But I'll probably use this phone for years to come. And just think, now I have another upgrade discount on my account. I have mine, my wife's, and now the new line. YAY!

Upvote 0
As much as I don't like Rush, I'd have to agree with that sentiment.

But the Rolling Stones said it best.
"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find. You get what you need!"

I got what I wanted. I paid out the butt for it. But I'll probably use this phone for years to come. And just think, now I have another upgrade discount on my account. I have mine, my wife's, and now the new line. YAY!

Rolling Stones have lazy guitar players and used Jimmy Page as a session player for any song in the 1960's that had more than three chords :eek: ;)

I am making this up, but a lot of popular groups DID use Jimmy Page for session work to cover for lack of skills. A whole lot.

BTW, listen to Rush 2112 and tell me you do not like them! I admit that anything past Hold Your Fire has been rough, but they rocked prior to that! :)

Upvote 0
Rolling Stones have lazy guitar players and used Jimmy Page as a session player for any song in the 1960's that had more than three chords :eek: ;)

I am making this up, but a lot of popular groups DID use Jimmy Page for session work to cover for lack of skills. A whole lot.

BTW, listen to Rush 2112 and tell me you do not like them! I admit that anything past Hold Your Fire has been rough, but they rocked prior to that! :)

Stones aren't my favorite either, but I like them better than Rush, and they had a song that fit the conversation. :)

I love prog-rock, but Rush's lead singer's voice annoys the crap out of me. So much that I can't even appreciate the rest of the band. And I love Dream Theater, so it's not like I don't have experience ignoring irritating lead singers to appreciate the rest of a band. lol But Rush's guy is over the top.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones