• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Adding a NC to my android stable.

SolidOrange

Android Expert
Sep 10, 2010
Clemson, SC
i have been looking to add the NC to my collection for awhile now, and finally found one for less than $175 shipped on ebay. while i am well versed in rooting/ROMing other devices, i just wanted to say hello to everyone in here and apologize for the newbie questions that are sure to follow. :p

guess this will bring me up to 5 sub-forums i have to check on a regular basis. :eek:

as of now, i am planning on running phiremod off of the emmc and putting the stock nook OS on the sd. any reasons to run a different set up would be welcome.

luckily i have experience with multiple manufacturers/devices already... after dealing with moto's sbf, htc's h-boot, and viewsonic's complete bootloader change, i am hoping i can handle the NC.

Upvote 0
I came from an LG Ally to the Nook(still have the Ally), and the Nook is by far easier to root. The Ally was fairly straight forward too, but not as easy and bulletproof as the Nook.

SolidOrange, I see you are using Das BAMF. One of the devs for that is also one of the main LG Ally devs, Trident, he's good, very good.

Upvote 0
I came from an LG Ally to the Nook(still have the Ally), and the Nook is by far easier to root. The Ally was fairly straight forward too, but not as easy and bulletproof as the Nook.

SolidOrange, I see you are using Das BAMF. One of the devs for that is also one of the main LG Ally devs, Trident, he's good, very good.

here's to hoping it is as bulletproof as my OG droid and g-tablet. i have flashed the crap out of both of them and never run into a "major" issue. haven't ventured much into the t-bolt yet, as i have been happily running stripped BAMF since the day i rooted. even though sense seems to be the "preferred" manufacturer overlay, i will always be partial to vanilla android. i was spoiled having the OG droid as my first android device so anything else just seems unnatural, lol.

Upvote 0
I've never had an HTC-powered Android, so I don't know much about Sense UI myself. I know I've tried a few ROMs that were set up to lool like it for my Optimus, and I wasn't really happy with it. I'm running a ported version of CM7 on the phone right now, and it's nice, but buggy, and plan on going back to stock on it and just waiting for LG to get around to releasing their update.

Regardless, my NC keeps blowing my mind. It may lack a novelty or two, but it truly is a tablet computer. It boots external media even! Kicks ass IMO. I agree with what's already been said; with a bootable CWR SD card this thing's really un-brickable unless the hardware is damaged. And thanks to the developers who are just as in love with this magical gadget as we are, there's more and more features being introduced to Nook almost on a daily basis. :) (Thank you Cyanogenmod!)

I cycle everywhere, I haven't been driving since August. It's nice to experience truly mobile computing for a change, instead of lugging around my ancient 17" laptop with 1.2 hours of battery life. NC's battery easily gets me through the day, even when I stop to use the web and pull out my BT mouse, and sit and browse for a while. It seems the battery will even easily last through two standard full-length films over Netflix.

Upvote 0
I've never had an HTC-powered Android, so I don't know much about Sense UI myself. I know I've tried a few ROMs that were set up to lool like it for my Optimus, and I wasn't really happy with it. I'm running a ported version of CM7 on the phone right now, and it's nice, but buggy, and plan on going back to stock on it and just waiting for LG to get around to releasing their update.

Regardless, my NC keeps blowing my mind. It may lack a novelty or two, but it truly is a tablet computer. It boots external media even! Kicks ass IMO. I agree with what's already been said; with a bootable CWR SD card this thing's really un-brickable unless the hardware is damaged. And thanks to the developers who are just as in love with this magical gadget as we are, there's more and more features being introduced to Nook almost on a daily basis. :) (Thank you Cyanogenmod!)

I cycle everywhere, I haven't been driving since August. It's nice to experience truly mobile computing for a change, instead of lugging around my ancient 17" laptop with 1.2 hours of battery life. NC's battery easily gets me through the day, even when I stop to use the web and pull out my BT mouse, and sit and browse for a while. It seems the battery will even easily last through two standard full-length films over Netflix.

Does it play nice with Zynga games on Facebook?? (Yes, LAMEST question in the planet.) lol

Upvote 0
I haven't tried, but it plays Poppit on Pogo and embedded video from various sites just fine. I do come across the occasional site that just doesn't play nice on the mobile browser but all of the sites I frequent display fine or have a dedicated android app.

I know it sounds silly, but for leisure ... that'd be one of my criteria. Sitting one a hammack...with a beverage...playing Empires & Allies.

Upvote 0
Last time I checked the Zynga website (two-three weeks ago?) they only supported Windows and Mac. No Android yet.

Wife is into Farmville... I've got a login, but have not done much with it...

If you go into Facebook and access the game as if you were on a desktop/laptop browser. How far can you go? I've heard anecdotes about people who can play just like if they were on a full blow computer and people who said only certain types of interactions were possible.

Just curious. I think regardless I'll be buying a NC, running CM7 from SD card, then reselling once I see a "full blown" tablet that does truly captivate my eye.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones