1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Adding media to sd card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by D3m, Aug 9, 2011.

1. D3m

D3m Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    Hi guys ive just bought this awesome phone and its my first time using android and im really impressed, one thing that im not able to do which im sure is simple enough is add the media to the 16gb sd card ive installed and not the phone memory. Does anyone have any solutions for me?
    any help would be gratefully received.

Advertisement

2. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

hmm.. so u plugged ur phone in, via usb.. u dotn see ur card mounted on ur computer? just drag n drop :D

3. Ageless Stranger

Ageless Stranger Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 2, 2008
    Male
    Senior software developer
    UK
    Go to applications - > Settings - > Storage on your phone
    Then under "SD card" make sure that the card is mounted: Under Available space if it says "Mount SD card", select that. If it says "Unmount SD card" then the card is already mounted.

When you attach the phone to the computer using a USB cable dont be tempted to hit the home button to access the phone's features, instead copy the files you want while the "MTP Application" screen is active on the phone

4. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Android Expert

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    If you're downloading the media from the internet there's a way. Go into my files in your settings and then select your exrental memory card and then select download. Now write down the name of this folder. It should say at the top of the screen. Now go into your browser and go to your browser settings. There should be download directory somewhere. Now select this and write in what you wrote down. Now downloads should save here

5. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    Male
    UK
    If you want to add ringtones etc you will need to create a Samsung\Ringtones folder.
    For SMS notifications Samsung\Notifications.

When you place files in these folders they will then appear in the options when selecting one.

There are probably lots of other "reserved" folders for other purposes. It would be handy for others members to add here

6. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

yes thats a good point, coz i read somewhere that its better if ur format ur card before adding these two folders, so its best if u format before adding any media..

secondly, u should be able to connect via the Kies connection, it should show up as a device on ur computer when u plug in, even without enabling the usb debugging mode (which u can use to mount ur drives if u want)

7. D3m

D3m Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    Thanks for all the replys guys, I did get there in the end I didnt see the sd card option in the bottom right of the kies page, and I also found it easier to transfer by just going with the usb option (well deleting files anyway).

Thanks again guys, much appreciated ;)