1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support adding more languages

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kevdroid711, Jan 1, 2012.

1. kevdroid711

kevdroid711 Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    Hello,

I recently got a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tab with 4G. I've been trying to get more languages on it specifically tradaitional chinese. There are currently only french, english and korean on it.

I am running Android 3.2 and the tablet is from Rogers in Canada (4G support).

Any tips on how to get it?

Advertisement

2. bfksc

bfksc Android Expert
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Try MoreLocales on the Market. It works for phones, but I'm not sure about tablets. Give it a shot...

3. kevdroid711

kevdroid711 Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    Hi, I tried MoreLocale and MoreLocale2 and it does add the Chinese locale but it doesn't let me switch the entire tablet to Chinese... i.e. I cannot pick Chinese from the Languages menu in settings (only English, French, Korean are available).

It appears to be a Rogers specific issue as the Galaxy 10.1 Tablets I tried at the store (without 4G support) have chinese.

4. kevdroid711

kevdroid711 Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    After much research, it appears if your tablet doesn't have the language you want on it, you can't just add it.

By languages, I mean from within the settings menu and switching the entire tablet into that language and all the menu's and labels appear in your selected language, not just displaying it or being able to input it.

So the solution is (for other's who are wondering the samething):
    1. root it
    2. install Clockworkmod (cwm) from the Market
    3. back up your original rom
    4. install a stock rom supporting your specific model (3g, 4g, wifi only etc)

It's quite simple, i've never done it before and I did it in under an hour (including downloading times)

I won't go over the steps, google is your friend... do at your own risk!

Hope this info helps somebody out, I wasn't able to find many details on this topic :D

5. ciguy

ciguy Newbie
    None

Oct 22, 2011
    Are U saying that I can input my language and it show the non english speaking person in their language? I travel a lot and this is my most problem is communication. Too old to learn a new language, but this would be great.

6. styliztik

styliztik Newbie
    None

Apr 5, 2012
    Student
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Ok my Evo 3d has only 2 Languages - Chinese and English ( Chinese ) now US or Uk

so can i add more languages

7. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    ciGuy
    You may just want to download Google Translate, converts over 40 lanuages with typed input. Common languages incl Engish, Japanese, Chinese, Spanish can be handwritten instead of typed, while others can do all those modes plus recognise spoken language, and will speak the translation also. I have Japanese student staying with us, and my extended family is Thai. They tell me with complex sentences it is about 90% correct in terms of grama. Certainly enough for people to understand. Only problem is it needs a network connection to work properly.

8. Halberdier

Halberdier Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2014
    I just installed Set Locale and Language, an app on Google Play. It is free and does not require root privileges. Apparently there are others with similar features.

I am personally in favor of rooting, but installing a custom ROM seems to me an overkill for this issue.

9. KiwiBird97

KiwiBird97 Lurker
    None

Jan 21, 2014
    You should have bought a Wi-Fi only model instead. That model supports a wider variety of languages.

10. nill_v2003

nill_v2003 Lurker
    None

Jun 30, 2014
    Hi

I have Iphone purchase from China, with IOS6. The phone does not support local Hindi language and I can read as it is in BOXES.

Please help

11. Kaat72

Kaat72 Guest
    None
    Hi! Namaste. Welcome to Android Forums! I'm sorry you're having problems with your new device. These forums are for Android devices only but I am sure our sister site http://isource.com/ wil be able to help you out. Good luck! :)