• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help adding more languages

Hello,

I recently got a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tab with 4G. I've been trying to get more languages on it specifically tradaitional chinese. There are currently only french, english and korean on it.

I am running Android 3.2 and the tablet is from Rogers in Canada (4G support).

Any tips on how to get it?

Hi, I tried MoreLocale and MoreLocale2 and it does add the Chinese locale but it doesn't let me switch the entire tablet to Chinese... i.e. I cannot pick Chinese from the Languages menu in settings (only English, French, Korean are available).

It appears to be a Rogers specific issue as the Galaxy 10.1 Tablets I tried at the store (without 4G support) have chinese.

Upvote 0
After much research, it appears if your tablet doesn't have the language you want on it, you can't just add it.

By languages, I mean from within the settings menu and switching the entire tablet into that language and all the menu's and labels appear in your selected language, not just displaying it or being able to input it.

So the solution is (for other's who are wondering the samething):
1. root it
2. install Clockworkmod (cwm) from the Market
3. back up your original rom
4. install a stock rom supporting your specific model (3g, 4g, wifi only etc)

It's quite simple, i've never done it before and I did it in under an hour (including downloading times)

I won't go over the steps, google is your friend... do at your own risk!

Hope this info helps somebody out, I wasn't able to find many details on this topic :D

Upvote 0
ciGuy
You may just want to download Google Translate, converts over 40 lanuages with typed input. Common languages incl Engish, Japanese, Chinese, Spanish can be handwritten instead of typed, while others can do all those modes plus recognise spoken language, and will speak the translation also. I have Japanese student staying with us, and my extended family is Thai. They tell me with complex sentences it is about 90% correct in terms of grama. Certainly enough for people to understand. Only problem is it needs a network connection to work properly.

Upvote 0
Hi

I have Iphone purchase from China, with IOS6. The phone does not support local Hindi language and I can read as it is in BOXES.

Please help

Hi! Namaste. Welcome to Android Forums! I'm sorry you're having problems with your new device. These forums are for Android devices only but I am sure our sister site http://isource.com/ wil be able to help you out. Good luck! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones