• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Adding Ram Question, NOOB here

vejjfreshness

Sep 16, 2016
I was going to upgrade my SD to 32 gigs today and thought I might as well make 2-4 gigs of it a partitioned RAM to help performance. My question is should I wait to do this before or after I install a custom ROM. I am still waiting on a version of CM 12.1 to be tested further before running it but I wanted more RAM now. So should I be patient and just wait to add RAM until after? Does it make a difference?

Last edited:
You know that using swap drastically shortens the life of your SD card without giving a substantial boost to performance? Also, why are you afraid to flash cm12.1? You can just backup all your apps, accounts, calls, messages, and other data with titanium backup, make a nandroid backup in twrp, and then flash cm and restore your apps with titanium backup. If it isn't stable just restore the nandroid...easy.

Reactions: vejjfreshness
Upvote 0
You know that using swap drastically shortens the life of your SD card without giving a substantial boost to performance? Also, why are you afraid to flash cm12.1? You can just backup all your apps, accounts, calls, messages, and other data with titanium backup, make a nandroid backup in twrp, and then flash cm and restore your apps with titanium backup. If it isn't stable just restore the nandroid...easy.
Thanks for the reply and good info. I wasn't too worried about decreasing the life of the SD card. 32 gig cards are only 15$ at walmart right now. But if it wont make a difference then I guess I wont worry about it and just keep my 16 gig one in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones