1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Additional Battery Questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jaydroid88, Mar 20, 2011.

1. jaydroid88

jaydroid88 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Student (Business)
    Los Angeles, CA
    I know the battery issues have been beaten to death on the forums but I had some questions that weren't answered and may pertain to first time android users such as myself.

1. If you don't fully charge the device the first time upon startup will your battery suffer in the long run?

2. Is it possible that the 1600 MaH Seidio battery is of better quality thus getting more than just a half hour extra out of it?

3. Does bump charging significantly increase battery life and do you need to bump charge your device from day 1?

I don't want a larger battery because I bought a seidio case and it wont fit. Right now I'm getting about 6-7 hours out of it and I'd like to get at least 10.

Advertisement

2. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Programmer
    Columbia, SC
    Oh yes.... they have.
    Nope.
    From what I have read they are crap batteries.
    I do not have one personally, and what I have read deters me from ever getting one.
    Yes and no.
    You can bump charge it on day 3 and it will help.
    I did not do it on day 1 and it seems to be fine.
    Try bump charging, that may put you over the top.

3. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!!
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    Ohio
    Yes...beaten to death is an understatement! :p But you are looking for advice and that never gets old here ;)

1) No...you will not hurt your battery. Lithium Ion batteries do not develop a "memory" like older technology batteries did. Having said that, your phone can develop a memory as it retains the battery stats. This is a file that the phone writes to and it can be changed. Usually 1-2 full power cycle will fix it. To do this, use you phone until it shuts off due to the low battery. Recharge completely...then on this phone, bump charge it a few times. Do that and you'll be set...but doesn't need to be done often. If you need to get some extra charge at 2:00pm because you know you are going to be "out and about" later on...go ahead, you won't hurt a thing.

2) If it truly is a 1600 mAh battery (there has been some dispute on this with previous Seidio batteries for the Droid Incredible), you will theoretically see a 12.5% gain. If you normally get 12 hours out of your phone...you will net an extra 1.5 hours. So it could be enough to make a difference but as some have said...an external battery charger and and extra 1400mAh battery might be a better and cheaper way to go.

3) Yes, it does help...no you don't have to do it from day 1. If you notice when you pull your phone off the charger, it may drop below 100% almost instantly. Power it down and plug it back in it may charge for an additional 30 minutes. I've done this 3 times tonight for an extra 1.5 hours of charge time. What is happening is that your phone is reading the voltage of the battery and saying "yep...it's full". But your phone is wrong. I'm not sure why HTC phones work like this...but they do. Other phones do the same thing but I've never seen anything to this extreme. Do you "need" to do this...no. Will this help battery life (yes...but only marginally most likely). Will this hurt your phone...no. But many people say that this will never change. I'm experimenting to prove it (for myself...I just don't take ppl's word for much until I see it for myself).

Hope that helps!

HTCThunderbolt likes this.
  4. jaydroid88

jaydroid88 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Student (Business)
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sounds good, thanks for the help! I'll try bump charging it and we'll see what happens. Also when a root comes out I'm sure that'll help too by getting rid of bloatware that's on autorun ect...

5. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!!
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    Ohio
    It's not for newbies (no offense meant to anyone), but root is out, the bootloader has been unlocked, and Clockwork Recovery is available...and I'm still downloading the needed files (big downloads and slow servers :)).

[Exclusive] How To Root The HTC ThunderBolt And Unlock Its Bootloader | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

But let's keep all discussions about this in the "all things root" section...k?