• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Addresss Book App without Sync?

Saud kazia

Lurker
Mar 2, 2018
Hi
I am looking for an App that will show my Google or other contacts (csv or whatever) that I can pull up from any phone which has that app installed. I don't want to sync all my contacts on phones I temporarily use, but I do need to call and maybe save one or two numbers in that phone (a friend's or siblings phone that I would use because my current phone is borked or they need the number and its easier to just look in that app)

I hope I am clear about it. All the apps I see in google store are either replacement address books or for backup. I don't see any that just keeps it for storage until I need it. You know like how a real address book should be.

Although it would be a fiddle, you could probably do it using a browser: log in to your GMail from a browser and you can view contacts synced with that account.

Your phone can "export" its contacts into a vcard file, which could be "imported" into the phonebook of another phone. But that still leaves you merging them with that phone's contacts (and syncing them if you import them as Google contacts). I don't know offhand of an app that will read vcard (.vcf) files and view the content without syncing, but maybe knowing that that's the format will help you with your search strings (perhaps using a full web search rather than the Play Store's search, which is, despite search being Google's core business, abysmal).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones