• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

adfree on mt3g slide

boshk

Feb 15, 2011
i'm having problems with adfree on mt3gs rooted cm7. i've installed it, reverted, redownloaded hosts, uninstalled, reinstalled, reverted, re downloaded, reverted, etc (also never received any errors.) and it still shows ads. what am i missing? i've searched around, and cant seem to find if i am missing a step that i was supposed to do. does it matter if it is installed on simcard or phone? i had originally installed it on the simcard and then moved it to the phone, but it doesnt seem to make a difference anyways. also i've reverted and reinstalled with "symlink" checked and unchecked a few times, and it didnt seem to make a difference.
(i posted this in the slide forum a couple weeks ago, and also on another thread. but i haven't gotten any response. so i am trying here now.)

so apparently i either have to have s-off (but no one says how to achieve this) or push the files through manually, so, ok, i did another round of searching the interwebs and tried this:

put hosts file to the tools folder of your sdk installation
open terminal with android connected and adb drivers installed
cd C:\androidsdk\tools
adb remount
adb push hosts /system/etc

but i get the message:
failed to copy 'hosts' to '/system/etc/hosts': directory not empty

Upvote 0
so apparently i either have to have s-off (but no one says how to achieve this) or push the files through manually, so, ok, i did another round of searching the interwebs and tried this:

adb remount

but i get the message:

AKA rooting...

Upvote 0

adb remount

but i get the message:

Make sure u boot into recovery. because u dont have s-off, you have to be in recovery before u can use adb to push anything into the /system folder.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones