• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root AdFree unable to get root

I didn't use AdFree or any other app, but I now have ads blocked on my phone in both the browser and apps (sorry app writers, I'm trying to speed up browsing). I understand that AdFree basically does the same thing I did, but I wanted to do this manually.

As always, you should make a Nandroid backup before doing something like this.

I got the hosts file from:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt

(you need to rename the file from hosts.txt to just hosts and possibly run dos2unix on a Linux / BSD / whatever machine to convert from a DOS text file to a UNIX text file)

and copied it to /system/etc (I made a backup of the original hosts first), changed file permissions (chmod 644 hosts) to match the original and have not see an ad on my phone since.

I liked doing it this way because I can see exactly what's in the hosts file before I put it on the phone and modify it to include or exclude whatever I want.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones