• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Adjust GPU clocks manually?

My Lenovo tablet (TB-J716F) has an issue with its clockrates. It refuses to clock the Snapdragon 870 CPU cores over 1ghz and the Adreno-GPU stays at 300mhz locked, even tho temperatures do not exceed 40C, unless it detects that a benchmark is running. I found something to manually adjust CPU clocks on my rooted device and that works great so far.

I tried Konabess already and deleting everything except the highest frequency finally worked and temperatures are great, but having it constantly run at 670mhz drains the battery too much.

is there a way to manually control the frequencies without using Konabess?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

No, sadly no such thing is available.
Im rooted with Magisk and have TWRP as my recovery, but there is nothing i can do about the kernel, im afraid.
than you will not be able to clock gpu.......from what i understand about clocking and overclocking a device. a custom kernel adjusts voltage and frequencies between hardware and the os and this will allow you to clock or overclock a device......back in the day the main app was setCPU, but i don't remember if it did gpu or not.

xda does have a small community of devs that have made custom roms for your device. each custom rom will have a custom kernel that the dev used. it could be a stock kernel or the dev has made one specific for that rom.

here is the xda forum i believe is for your device;
https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/lenovo-p11.12077/?prefix_id=33

there are a handful of custom roms there. just make sure that make a nandroid backup before trying these roms. and then you can see if you can change the gpu speeds or not.

Upvote 0
than you will not be able to clock gpu.......from what i understand about clocking and overclocking a device. a custom kernel adjusts voltage and frequencies between hardware and the os and this will allow you to clock or overclock a device......back in the day the main app was setCPU, but i don't remember if it did gpu or not.

xda does have a small community of devs that have made custom roms for your device. each custom rom will have a custom kernel that the dev used. it could be a stock kernel or the dev has made one specific for that rom.

here is the xda forum i believe is for your device;
https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/lenovo-p11.12077/?prefix_id=33

there are a handful of custom roms there. just make sure that make a nandroid backup before trying these roms. and then you can see if you can change the gpu speeds or not.
There is no custom rom.
SetCPU only works for CPU, sadly.
I can change the clock on my GPU. With Konabess, by deleting all the frequencies below the maximum one, but that means it cant clock down.
So i was hoping for a more elegant solution.

Upvote 0
There is no custom rom.
SetCPU only works for CPU, sadly.
I can change the clock on my GPU. With Konabess, by deleting all the frequencies below the maximum one, but that means it cant clock down.
So i was hoping for a more elegant solution.
oooops yeah you are right.....for your specific model. sorry i overlooked the model numbers.....my bad.

yeah until there is a custom rom or kernel......your solution might be the only one. i do not have your phone, but i know quite a bit about rooting and overclocking.

Upvote 0
oooops yeah you are right.....for your specific model. sorry i overlooked the model numbers.....my bad.

yeah until there is a custom rom or kernel......your solution might be the only one. i do not have your phone, but i know quite a bit about rooting and overclocking.

Sadly its a chinese model, so Lenovo seems to not want to release the kernel sources, without which a custom Kernel wont exist.
So Custom Roms are unlikely, too.

Oh well, the way i found may not be perfect, but at least it works!
Thank you for your help!

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones