1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General Admission from HTC

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alane, Dec 8, 2010.

1. alane

alane Member

Nov 16, 2010
    After being locked in a tracked problem with HTC I eventually gets a mail today with full admission that despite the allged ability to synch with outlook from 2003 upwards...it wont synch with 64bit users.
    the exact quote is:
    Sounds a bit like covering their arse when they say "unable to advise on IF and WHEN"
    IF it doesn't, then I see a lot of business users picking Iphone or Blackberry over HTC.

With respect to the crap battery life the quote was:
    So, any potential owners - remember that when you're reading the literature that says it will synch with outlook 2003 onwards and the battery life is up to 400+hours.

I'd say that going from 400+ to 12 hours is pretty big underestimation (3% actual of the estimated life)

Advertisement

2. arsenal_mjh

arsenal_mjh Active Member

Dec 4, 2010
    When they say Outlook 2010, do they mean Outlook or Exchange (fairly sure they mean Exchange)? Anywho, seeing as Exchange 2010 is only available is 64 bit, that's pretty poor. I suppose Exchange user can still use a browser and login to webmail.

3. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Technical Support
    Liverpool, Merseyside
    I've had issues with Outlook 2010 x64 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and always assumed it was because of this. Never had any issues with Outlook 2007 x86, mind

4. The Hoff

The Hoff Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Alane, you need to look at the actual usage estimates not the quoted standby times. I suspect that running in stock guise and with no services running it would last for a similar time to that they quote - after all, they have to be able to prove their claims.

However, as we all know marketing claims often don't amount to much in the real world; be it claimed MPG on cars, energy bulbs not lasting for their guaranteed 10 years or in this case smartphones.

When I take on a phone like the Desire HD (having owned a myriad of phones) I never expect more than a day of moderate/heavy use. I guess I manage my expectations and therefore they're usually met.

As for Outlook, they do indeed mean Exchange. Outlook (the client) has absolutely nothing to do with the device. I suspect as Exchange 2010 is still the new kid on the block that support will inevitably be added, but I suspect the question is when.

That said is this a limitation of the hardware (lacking the right encryption) or the software (in which case Ginger will address it)?

5. arsenal_mjh

arsenal_mjh Active Member

Dec 4, 2010
    It's a pretty major oversight bh. It's not like Exchnage 2010 is availbl;e in 32 bit or 64 bit. It is 64 bit only.

Anyway, I suppose the joy of Android is that some clever so and so will just add the capability to an update.

6. BigladUK

BigladUK Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Though i should post here as well as the other thread I'm posting on to confirm my Desire HD has no problem connecting up to my Exchange 2010 server :)

I'm sure when HTC said Outlook thats what they ment.

Some people use HTC Sync to sync there phones with there desktop email client for Contacts etc which I assume is what the OP is doing.

7. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2010
    I wish ....
    Sunny Cornwall
    That's what I do. But use MyPhoneExplorer to do so.

Dave