1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Adobe Flash Player 11.0

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hagar, Oct 4, 2011.

1. hagar

hagar Newbie
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    Adobe just updated itself and is now taking up 17.37MB, do I really need flash player or just uninstall updates?

Advertisement

2. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Youve got an older version as part of android. You can uninstall the update and you will still see flash

hagar likes this.
  3. womb raider

womb raider Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    Glos.
    ^^ Yeah I did this this morning. Wouldn't be too bad if you could move it to the SD but with the Desire's ridiculous lack of internal space 17mb was gonna leave me with 20mb free so I uninstalled the update.

4. westbros

westbros Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    The same happened to me this evening. Suddenly I noticed my Desire was downloading (automatically!) this huge bloatware weighing in at over 17 MB. I also chose to uninstall the updates and return to the default v.10.1 which, according to the phone, has a size of 0 MB (presumably included within the Android OS itself?). But when I uninstalled the updates I curiously still ended up with a net loss of some 7 MB!???

I'm annoyed that this somehow downloaded without my permission. And I'm left feeling a bit peeved that by some stealth move I've been cheated out of 7 MB of precious memory.

5. svada007

svada007 Lurker
    None

Oct 6, 2011
    Same thing happened to me. Also, like 2 minutes after I uninstalled it, it downloaded AGAIN! Even though I had ticked of the automatic update box in Market.
    Also, HATE the new market, so slow and constantly fialing to connect.
    I have loved my Desire (on and off) for a year now, is it time to move on?

6. womb raider

womb raider Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 30, 2011
    Glos.
    Exactly the same with me mate. I was on around 38mb before the update and left with 21mb after. I uninstalled and was only back up to 31mb. I then went through 'all apps' under 'manage applications' and deleted some caches and data (probably only around 4-5mb worth) and somehow I'm back up to 41mb now. Bizarre.

7. jimdriver2

jimdriver2 Well-Known Member
    None

May 7, 2010
    The desire does some odd stuff when you remove apps. Sometimes I need a complete turn off and turn on again to gain space back.

I've also found that a completely wiping everything (full reset) every 6 months or so will gain me about 15mb of internal back.

8. madhatter1689

madhatter1689 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 21, 2010
    Church Minister
    Belfast
    Don't know if it is because of the update but the BBC News is more in sync now.

9. westbros

None

Aug 8, 2010
    Update on this...

When I woke up this morning I mysteriously found that I'd recovered 6 of the lost 7 MB. Really strange.

I'm glad to say that my phone has not yet tried to download it again. And so far I haven't had any problems connecting to the new Market (which also spontaneously upgraded itself last week).

10. svada007

svada007 Lurker
    None

Oct 6, 2011
    I sent an e-mail to the adress listed in the app on Market.
    I actually got a reply! Here it is:
    It doen't help much, but at least they replied!

I sent another e-mail adressing the fact that this reply doen't give me any info on how to prevent the automatic update (it updated again this morning, this is really starting to piss me off!). We'll see what and if he replies to this.

11. DaddyCee

DaddyCee Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Male
    had to remove the update as took my phone down to 140K what with the new market app which can't be removed as when you do it automatically upadtes back to the new version. ffs when will Google learn that these things make the poor HTC Desire (with its massive 147MB) of memory suffer.

message to Google - LTFA (Leave the f*** alone).

12. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Really its HTC that dropped the ball here.

13. Kennym

Kennym Lurker
    None

Mar 13, 2011
    Have you un-ticked the "Allow automatic updating" box? It's in the middle of the screen when you select the flash player app on the market.

14. westbros

None

Aug 8, 2010
    Yes, he/she has. See posting #5 in this thread. It didn't work.

15. westbros

None

Aug 8, 2010
    Absolutely right! It's not the size of the download which is the main gripe here. It's the fact that it is automatic and you don't get any say in whether you get the update, and that it apparently keeps on forcing the update even if you switch off the automatic update option in Android Market. For goodness sake, we already have a functioning Flash Player as part of the OS, and this update is not critical for the function of the phone. This update has no business being mandatory. We should be able to choose whether or not we want to have the update. :mad:

16. SammyAcclaim

SammyAcclaim Member
    None

Sep 27, 2010
    Anxiously waiting to hear if there is a way to stop the automatic update. It auto updated for me yesterday as well after already uninstalling it once.

17. tophee

tophee Lurker
    None

Dec 21, 2010
    I have the same problem. HTC Desire with memory down to a few kB which is apparently even too little too uninstall it. At least that's how I interpret the fact that the Flash Player Update wont uninstall. So now I have to uninstall all my other apps now one by one, then uninstall that damn Flash Player Update and then re-install (and configure) all my apps?!? I am furious! :mad:
    Thank you Adobe for ****ing up my evening which I did not intend to spend fixing my Phone! Thank you so much!

The email from the Adobe guy postef above shows how incredibly ignorant these guys are. There is no 1 GB of usable app storage on a Desire but just about 127 mb (if I remember correctly) and those are already far too little, even if you use App2SD wherever you can. I cant believe Adobe is not aware of this and thinks that 12 MB is peanuts! :eek:

I am very thankful to anyone posting solutions and experiences to this huge issue here. I'm sure there are thousands of people with an almost bricked Phone out there, desperate to fix this freakin update Problem. Phew. I still can't believe that this is possible.

18. Mattb81

Mattb81 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    Australia
    He's not ignorant, he said new phones are coming out with reasonable memory that makes it peanuts. its still frustrating to us though

19. martinofculler

None

Oct 8, 2011
    Mines just tried to auto update again this morning, thats the third morning in a row, surely the tech press must be interested in this mess up, i've lost a large chunk of memory to the market update no choice given, now i've got to take a hit with adobe that will just about cripple my phone, great thanks, good to know its future proof.

20. ScoobyWRX

ScoobyWRX Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 14, 2010
    Poole, Dorset
    Strange :thinking: I uninstalled the Flash updates, and it doesn't try to automatically update on mine

21. jimdriver2

jimdriver2 Well-Known Member
    None

May 7, 2010
    I've uninstalled and unticked the auto-update, but it still keeps trying to do it. I'm sure it's due to the new market, which is basically complete rubbish. There's got to be a way to stop it doing that!

I've loved my Desire and would have no problems with it really at all if it wasn't for the lack of internal.

22. rgke

rgke Member
    None

May 7, 2010
    Same problem here and not just with flash player.

The phone is becoming unusable.

23. mccririck

mccririck Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 18, 2011
    Edinburgh, UK
    How do I avoid it updating?

24. Pinmac1

Pinmac1 Android Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2011
    UK
    I decided to wipe my Desire and completely reinstall due to being fed up with having only around 21Mb space. All went well and I reinstalled everything and was left with 31Mb. Unfortunately this reinstallcoincided with the latest Flash Player update. When I saw how big it was I thought I would uninstall the update as I have done previously to no bad effects. When I uninstalled updates it uninstalled Flash entirely leaving me with 46Mb but no Flash! I have reinstalled but I am not happy at losing this amount of precious space. Does anyone have any ideas please?

Also why does it say on the Market that Flash is only 6Mb when it is 17Mb?

25. tibbyltd

tibbyltd Lurker
    None

Nov 1, 2010
    I'm having the same problem on my Acer liquid metal, which like the desire suffers from limited storage space. I unchecked the auto-update box but it still updates and leaves an annoying notification icons well as thrashing my data allowance.

Has anyone come up with a solution? I'm not happy with Adobe/Google for allowing this problem to become apparent but what were the manufacturers thinking giving top notch smart phones such limited internal memory?!

Tags: