• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Adobe Flash Player 11.0

I have the same problem with Adobe Flash auto installing repeatedly and rendering my HTC Desire unusable due to limited amount of internal memory being taken up by the Flash install.

We need a solution to this - from Adobe or HTC - simply stop forcing this update!!!!!!

As a matter of interest where is the "auto update box" in the "Adobe Flash Player 11" market entry - I can not see this box to untick.

Although it appears that this solution does not work anyway.

Until this completely unacceptable event - I had been very happy with my HTC Desire, even with its limited internal memory - not anymore.

Upvote 0
I have same issue with my desire on 2.2.
We have 10.1 as part of OS so Adobe Flash Player doesn't appear under 'my apps' in the market therefore we can't disable the automatic updates check box. The only time it appears on the market is when we have had the update to Adobe Flash Player 11 forced upon us. Sure - we can prevent Adobe Flash Player 11 auto-updating by checking the box.

But what if we don't want Flash Player 11 in the first place as it's taking 17MB of our precious space.

I'm quite happy without it thanks so I uninstall it, then it auto-updates again the following day.

Usually this happens whilst I'm out and about at work so everytime it's costing me a fair chunk of my mobile data allowance so I really don't appreciate this forced update to something i don't want.

Now - How do I stop it autoupdating again???

Upvote 0
Im sick of the thing, it tried to update while i was at lunch today, i managed to stop it halfway through, Grrrrr

There is no button to untick for auto update on my Desire, the only thing i could think of doing was to mark the update as inappropriate and sent a snotty comment saying that i didnt want the update forced on me!! :mad:

Perhaps if more people do this then google & adobe might take notice and do something about it.

Pete ;)

Upvote 0
I have same issue with my desire on 2.2.
We have 10.1 as part of OS so Adobe Flash Player doesn't appear under 'my apps' in the market therefore we can't disable the automatic updates check box. The only time it appears on the market is when we have had the update to Adobe Flash Player 11 forced upon us. Sure - we can prevent Adobe Flash Player 11 auto-updating by checking the box.

Now - How do I stop it autoupdating again???

As I said in my message - turn off the auto-update from the Market BEFORE you uninstall it.

Upvote 0
I uninstalled Flash Player 11, due to it using too much internal memory compared to how much I really use Flash content on my Desire (HTC's 2.3 update includes 10.1 as part of the RUU with only a 56 KB footprint compared to 17 MB).

Since uninstalling it, the Adobe Flash Player was under My apps in the Market marked with update, as expected, but last night I was checking for udpates to other apps and the Flash player disappeared from My apps after it refreshed the list and now when I search the Market I cannot find Adobe Flash Player.

Has the Adobe Flash Player been pulled from the Market?

Upvote 0
I have contacted Adobe and they said the following:

Thanks for taking the time to write us a note. We're aware of the limited disk space and recurring auto-update issues affecting HTC Desire users, and are doing a final test pass on an update that will return the binary size to parity with Flash Player 10.3. If you can live with this issue for another day, you should get a fix automatically.

To explain, we do not have the ability to push applications out to users directly. We simply upload updated copies of our application to the Android Market. The Android Market takes care of updates and distributions.

If you're stuck in an endless upgrade loop, try freeing up enough space for Flash Player to install successfully.

Clearing stored application data seems to be effective, and users I've talked to indicate that Facebook is a good place to look for recovering disk space. Go to Applications > Manage Applications > Downloaded, and you can browse your installed applications and see how much the application and it's stored data are consuming. You don't necessarily need to delete applications to free up additional space.

Once Flash Player is installed, you'll get the Auto-Update checkbox, which you can then uncheck. This should allow you to revert to the pre-installed version by Uninstalling Updates from the Android Market. I had initially suspected that this was a problem with how HTC pre-packaged Flash Player, but it appears that it may be a bug in the Android Market application itself.

I don't pretend to understand what they say about returning the binary size to parity with flash player 10.3 as surely whatever they release will have to be on top of what we already have built in and so will still take up extra space once installed?

I also spoke to HTC and they said:

some apps install themselves as 'native' apps, and these apps can
neither be removed nor have their automatic updates disabled. For
assistance in disabling the updates or removing the app, I recommend
contacting the developer of the app for advice

It sounds to me like an HTC fault which decides for us that these 'native' apps must have their automatic updates turned on but for a laugh they gave us the ability (sometimes!) to turn these automatic updates off then the next day it just turns itself back on and downloads again.

I've gone back to HTC to ask if they can do anything to stop the automatic updates but am pretty sure they will say it can't be done through the market which then leaves an OS update and by the time the networks release it we'll all have different phones anyway (which will hopefully have more internal storage)

Upvote 0
Thanks for taking the time to write us a note. We're aware of the limited disk space and recurring auto-update issues affecting HTC Desire users, and are doing a final test pass on an update that will return the binary size to parity with Flash Player 10.3. If you can live with this issue for another day, you should get a fix automatically.

I mailed the team, too, and got a detailed and polite reply to my rather stroppy message, which also included the bit about "parity with 10.3". My understanding is that, in response to negative feedback from Desire users, they're taking some features out of the new update to bring it back down in size from 17Mb to about 12Mb.

I still think this is too big for me to bother with, when the bundled 10.1 seems to work fine for my limited use, but they are listening and responding.

They're also trying to find out why the app keeps updating even when we uncheck the auto-update box: I understand that they currently don't know exactly why it's happening.

TBH, I've had far worse support for products I've paid for -- including from HTC, who've twice told me stuff that turned out not to be true, when I googled & found the right answer on this forum -- so although I think it's still too big and too annoying, I'm much more inclined to cut them some slack. I hope they get it sorted out soon, though...

Upvote 0
I uninstalled Flash Player 11, due to it using too much internal memory compared to how much I really use Flash content on my Desire (HTC's 2.3 update includes 10.1 as part of the RUU with only a 56 KB footprint compared to 17 MB).

Since uninstalling it, the Adobe Flash Player was under My apps in the Market marked with update, as expected, but last night I was checking for udpates to other apps and the Flash player disappeared from My apps after it refreshed the list and now when I search the Market I cannot find Adobe Flash Player.

Has the Adobe Flash Player been pulled from the Market?

And it's back in My apps.

Upvote 0
You guys must have too many apps on your phones. I only have the ones I really need.

Not at all.

This is crippling my phone. It is a disgrace.

Large apps on my internal memory:

Market 8mb
whatsapp 8
Facebook 6.7
Spotify 4mb
tune in radio 2.8

then this monstrosity of adobe is forced upon us making hardly any space available for anything else.

An absolute farce of an outdated phone that I am locked into for god knows how long.

Upvote 0
Not at all.

This is crippling my phone. It is a disgrace.

Large apps on my internal memory:

Market 8mb
whatsapp 8
Facebook 6.7
Spotify 4mb
tune in radio 2.8

then this monstrosity of adobe is forced upon us making hardly any space available for anything else.

An absolute farce of an outdated phone that I am locked into for god knows how long.
Why do you need whatsapp and spotify? I dont. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones