• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Adopting a dog

ocnbrze

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
  • May 13, 2010
    Los Angeles
    so i have been looking to adopt a dog for the longest time. but this pandemic has made the situation worse for me as more and more people are also looking for a dog to adopt. i have used https://www.adoptapet.com/ as my main source for looking. they have a really good national base. even a local shelter near me suggested i use it to search for a future pet there.

but the problem is that every single one i have applied for adoption, i'm always too late and the dog i wanted was spoken for.

i tried looking on craig's list and i keep finding folks who are like 200-300 miles away!!!!! i want to see the dog first and see if my current dog can coexist withe each other.

is there a better way to find a find a dog to adopt? i am kind of picky. i am looking for either a puppy or a young dog (1-3 years old). it also has to be a lap dog.....but one that is not yappy. maybe like a small poodle mix or a lhasa apso type dog.

with my dog i got lucky. a coworker at the time had her dog in a co-op breeding program with her cousin. he was looking to breed pitbull/bulldog which was what her dog was. i was lucky enough to buy one of her pups. i am no longer in contact with her. plus those dogs are big. i'm looking for a small dog around 10-20 pounds at the most.

any ideas?

Yeh. I can't take on a pet where I live, but I agree with DPB I would get a dog from a pound that had been abondoned and maltreated, found and recovered. Give one, or two if they made a friend :rolleyes:, the chance to mentally recover, get loved and put the spark back in them.

That may be too much and you sound young OP.

If I had a house and garden I'd be emotionally terrified to go to a pound and have to leave all but one behind
    I'm near the famous Battersea Dogs (& cats) Home and can see them from a train.

It was nice to hear that there is a waiting list to adopt pets where you are.
    My impression from reports here and other countries was that many domesticated animals have been abondoned in small city homes or given to centres because of pandemic isolation/financial fears etc. A lot of people have second rural homes they went to.

Upvote 0
    it also has to be a lap dog.....but one that is not yappy.
    Great Dane! Mine were lap dogs--Little Freddie's head fit perfectly in my lap!--and they're definitely not yappy. :D

But seriously, have a look at LA County Pets. It lets you search all LA County shelters by various criteria.

I strongly advise against using CraigsList, for a number of reasons.

Look for rescues in your area; you can find rescues for virtually every breed, as well as mutts.

Check with local veterinarians, too--they often have bulletin boards where people post notices looking for good homes for found dogs [not claimed by owners], etc.

Please stay away from backyard breeders...

Thank you for wanting to do this wonderful thing. You and your new family member will love it!

Upvote 0
    A friend just got an amazing dog from a local shelter. The search took forever, good ones go quick for sure!
    He checked every semi-local shelter (online), want ad digest, adopt a pet, pet finder...it was frustrating but eventually he found his perfect dog. I kept telling him that his dog was out there and he'd find her when she was ready. Patience is key, your dog is out there too!

Upvote 0
    A friend just got an amazing dog from a local shelter. The search took forever, good ones go quick for sure!
    He checked every semi-local shelter (online), want ad digest, adopt a pet, pet finder...it was frustrating but eventually he found his perfect dog. I kept telling him that his dog was out there and he'd find her when she was ready. Patience is key, your dog is out there too!
    yeah i know. i am just sick of filling apps and entering the same info over and over again. its almost like applying for jobs. maybe i should just send each place my resume instead......LOL

Upvote 0
    @ocnbrze, I would find some local rescues and follow them on social media. They post on their own pages before the dogs get aggregated to the national sites, so the most desirable pups are gone long before you have a chance to see them. That's how we found our dog. We visited a couple of pups to make sure that that the pup would get along with our current dog, and each time there were already multiple applications for the dogs.

Also, they would often post pics of one or two of the litter, so even though the pup you are looking for may be claimed, his or her brothers and sisters may still be available.

They further insisted we have a meet and greet with our existing dog and put in contact with our vet before they would give final approval on the adoption.

Just my thoughts from my recent adoption. Hope it helps.

BTW, this is when I picked him up to bring him home for the first time
    upload_2020-7-27_11-41-55.png

Upvote 0
    My sisters puppy was given by one of our mutal friends
    How did they happen to have puppies...that they gave away? Call me a skeptic, but were they irresponsible pet owners who didn't have their dogs spayed/neutered? Or backyard breeders?

Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    How did they happen to have puppies...that they gave away? Call me a skeptic, but were they irresponsible pet owners who didn't have their dogs spayed/neutered? Or backyard breeders?
    No, I do not know what happen with Max's parents either, is that my friend found Max when he was a tiny puppy, she went to school and could not take care of it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones