• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ads pop up, virus/malware??

visualforce

Lurker
Jan 1, 2020
I'm using galaxy s6 for more than 3 years now and have no issue while it. But from last couple of months I'm facing same issue and that is ads pop up itself regardless what I'm doing on my phone. For example watching videos on YouTube, making phone call, texting or WhatsApp etc it appears on the top of the what I'm doing. I factory reset 3 times I think but after few same issue appears. I uninstall most of the apps now I'm using what's app, keep, messenger, Ali express, Dropbox, outlook and default apps. Samsung Internet browser is default browser with ad block. These are the pictures of the ads, theses are examples every time top is different but appearance is same.
Regards.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200101-200915.png
    Screenshot_20200101-200915.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 337
  • Screenshot_20200101-200851.png
    Screenshot_20200101-200851.png
    663.5 KB · Views: 280
yep looks like you have adware installed. the trick is it could be from an app installed or an app has sideloaded the adware some place on your device. i would look into putting your device into safe mode and uninstall all of your apps one by one until the culprit is found.

if you do not find it, then i would suggest that you factory reset it and start over. just be careful when re-installing your apps. do it one by one slowly.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
yep looks like you have adware installed. the trick is it could be from an app installed or an app has sideloaded the adware some place on your device. i would look into putting your device into safe mode and uninstall all of your apps one by one until the culprit is found.

if you do not find it, then i would suggest that you factory reset it and start over. just be careful when re-installing your apps. do it one by one slowly.

Thanks for the reply. Why do I need to uninstall app in safe mode , why not in normal mode? I don't know about how safe mode works.
But i still log in to safe mode and found most of my apps shows in grey colour with sd card icon.

Upvote 0
safe mode does not allow 3rd party apps to run. it is merely a precaution. it keeps your phone safe while you troubleshoot what app is causing the issue..
https://lifehacker.com/use-androids-safe-mode-to-disable-apps-and-troubleshoot-5965022

I'm sorry but I still don't get it. What i understand so far is log in to safe mode and uninstall apps one by one? If that is correct so what's the point of uninstalling the disabled apps?
Anyway when I log in to safe mode ads are still popping up.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry but I still don't get it. What i understand so far is log in to safe mode and uninstall apps one by one? If that is correct so what's the point of uninstalling the disabled apps?
Anyway when I log in to safe mode ads are still popping up.
well that is weird. i wonder if the adware is popping up thru the browser........hmmmmm.

you might want to consider doing a factory reset.

Upvote 0
From the advice of a family member I installed app named malware bytes which identify one risk app called peel remote. This app is pre installed and I never used it so I decided to disable the app and afterwards my problem solved.
Question is why pre installed app do that and how it can if I never used it.
I'm 99% sure it's peel remote do all the problem and one percent if anyother malware.
May be I will enable it again in some time to confirm it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones