• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Adult websites permanantly restricted on 3?!

There has been a bit of a riot on the official Three Blog (blog.three.co.uk) about this and this is 3's response:

(My bold).

Has anyone tried ringing and requesting them to remove their filter? Seems all a bit too easy to me....

Yup first thing I did they where very helpful and removed it.. a quick reboot of my phone later n hey presto... I can now perv away.
I think its a good idea personally you have to opt in stops my 12 year old son finding stuff I would rather he didn't..

Upvote 0
Personally I think it's disgraceful, but Three are adamant and completely unapologetic about it. There seems to be at least two workarounds. I've used the first and can confirm it works a treat.

#1. Change your mobile network settings...
I'm running a Hero, so hopefully these instructions will be roughly the same for you. You'll be changing your mobile network settings and setting up a new APN (Access Point Name).

Go into settings/wireless controls/mobile network settings/Access Point Names. You'll see one padlocked APN there - 3. Go into it to access all the settings. Make a written note of all of them.

Then back out, hit your menu button and create a new APN. I called it 3proxy. Make sure all the settings on it are the same as the padlocked 3 one, except for one crucial change. Change the APN from three.co.uk to 3internet.co.uk.

Make the 3proxy APN your default one and you should now be able to access whatever you like.

#2. Change your default browser...
I haven't tried this, since I only stumbled across it recently. Apparently if you change your browser to Opera mini then you can access whatever you like. It seems Opera uses a proxy so Three don't realise you're accessing restricted sites. Presumably you just download Opera mini from the Marketplace and set it as default.

Hope this helps

Thank you for posting this, I had contacted three with getting the adult content switched off but it was slow in the process and after nearly 24 hours I found this post,very helpful and thanks a :)lot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones