• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Advanced Task killer

The best short answer I can give you is some apps are necessary to run in the background to keep certain features running (email,text,market,etc.)

IMHO,using a task killer for the most part is counterproductive & consumes as much if not more resources as at is trying to save.
My suggestion would be to read the 'Stickey' at the top of this page for more general info,& possibly 'root' your phone for a better overall experience.Its safe to do,just ask questions as necessary.
I myself am not one of the 'PROs' here,but others will read this & be of great assistance in your pursuit of a better phone experience.

Upvote 0
I just got my Ascend last Friday and, per my husband's advice, ATK was the first app I downloaded. With that app, I noticed my phone running very slowly (scrolling between screens was "choppy", browsing apps/internet was laggy, etc). So, I researched online and read the pros and cons of app killer apps and decided that I wouldn't use one. Literally as soon as I uninstalled ATK I noticed a HUGE change in the "speed" of my phone. It ran a lot smoother and nothing was choppy or laggy anymore.

Using a task killer is ultimately up to you, but I know not using one has been better for me so far.

Edit: I also convinced my husband to uninstall ATK off his phone and he noticed a huge change for the better as well.

Upvote 0
ok, i have a question, 1st how do i uninstall it and 2nd how would i go about stopping all these different apps that are running when i am not using them, or if i do use an app how do i know that it is not running anymore

1)Settings/ Applications, Manage Applications, find the program..click it...click uninstall...

2) Android Operating Systems are known to close processes when the phone doesn't need them, and start them when the phone needs them....if you are playing a game lets say, and close it out....eventually it will close out when you don't go back in...so really no reason for a task killer

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
ok, i have a question, 1st how do i uninstall it and 2nd how would i go about stopping all these different apps that are running when i am not using them, or if i do use an app how do i know that it is not running anymore

It doesn't matter that they are running. Apps you aren't using can be loaded without being active, meaning they aren't using any power/processing power compared to if they weren't running. If android needs the memory for something else, then it will kill it for you.

If you try to kill apps your self, android will just open them up again because it's designed to keep it's spare memory full of non-active apps. Every time it reopens an app because you killed it, you waste a little more power and it ties up the processor.

Upvote 0
Well, I just read thru this thread, and I was sold on ATK. Now, I just returned my sale. I had no idea ATK is the cause of my "choppy" scrolling. I actually did notice a better performance, and so much less freezing, but the choppy scrolling has been making me want a different phone.

I thank you for this useful info...

Upvote 0
It doesn't matter that they are running. Apps you aren't using can be loaded without being active, meaning they aren't using any power/processing power compared to if they weren't running. If android needs the memory for something else, then it will kill it for you.

If you try to kill apps your self, android will just open them up again because it's designed to keep it's spare memory full of non-active apps. Every time it reopens an app because you killed it, you waste a little more power and it ties up the processor.

Thanks for that explanation, Xyro. That's the best information I've seen yet on the cons of using a task killer. Now I understand a little more about the OS as far as WHY all those apps are always running in the background.

Upvote 0
Another app that I found to be completely unnecessary was Juice Defender. The thing would turn off my 3G when the phone was idle and would take forever to bring it back up and that annoyed the heck out of me. It didn't really do much to help with the battery either.
See what I meant efeigenbaum
that's another problem
on my post most of the problem are
frustrating , but FIXED or fixable
and not what ppl call whining
if that's the case , Look around this forum
100's 1000's of ppl will be whining
Im not trying to be a player hater here
but just dont like the tone on ppl reply
MaMa alway taught me ,
if u got nothing good to say ,
dont say it at all

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones