• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Advanced Task Killer

seanjoe

Dec 23, 2011
I just downloaded ATK. On my friends phone when he presses the icon on his home screen it kills the programs, but on mine when I press the icon it opens up the app and the I have to click kill all selected apps. I looked through the settings to change it but couldn't find an option for it,

Another thing is I also use the dolphin browser companion where I can speed up the phone. Because I have this does having ATK redundant? Does one work better than the other?

One more thing when reading about the app before installing it said it didn't recommend using the autokiller. Can anyone give me more insight into why and should I refrain from using it?
btw this is not the pay for pro version.
Thanks.

Same story as always, new to Android, goes to market desperately looking for some neat and shiny task killer...

Dude, task killers in Android do more harm than good.

Uninstall it and just enjoy your device, open as many apps as you want and let the robot do the hard work for you.

ps: Android = Linux, not Windows, as our buddy just stated here.

Upvote 0
I will also suggest that the task killer is more than unecessary. It is potentially harmful. Let's not come down too hard on the OP, though. There continues to be a lot of misinformation out there about task killers in general. And many store reps still insist it be the first app a new user downloads. Sad really, but our job is to educate, not denigrate.

If you read through the rather lengthy post aysiu linked, you should begin to understand how Android memory management works and why task killing -- especially auto killing -- is bad for your phone. If you have any specific questions or need any clarification, feel free to ask. :D

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
I will also suggest that the task killer is more than unecessary. It is potentially harmful. Let's not come down too hard on the OP, though. There continues to be a lot of misinformation out there about task killers in general. And many store reps still insist it be the first app a new user downloads. Sad really, but our job is to educate, not denigrate.

Completely agree. I saw this all the time when I was selling phones at best buy. By the time I left after working there 3 months over the holidays at least everyone in that store knew to never recommend a task killer and make sure people uninstalled them every time they saw one running on a phone. There were multiple times that people came in to ask why they were having various problems with their phones and about half the time they had a task killer installed (usually ATK) and once they uninstalled that I didn't see them back in there with any other problems.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones