1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Advantage of rooting?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by solidkevin, May 4, 2010.

1. solidkevin

solidkevin Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2009
    What does rooting do for the User? So far I have had N1, X10 and Hero, I should be getting the milestone soon, Ive heard about rooting but never looked into it, what does it do? Should I do it? Thanks.

Advertisement

2. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer

Jan 11, 2010
    Driver
    W Midlands, UK
    Rooting gives you the ability to modify system files that you are not able to modify as a normal user. Some apps require root permissions in order to work as they also need to modify system files.

A lot of people get confused between rooting and installing a custom ROM. These are two different things, but often get confused because custom ROM's often come with root access. It's not necessary to root in order to install a custom ROM, you only need to do it if you (or an app you want to use) needs to modify system files. For instance if you wanted to remove a stock app, you would need to root.

More info on rooting the milestone can be found here...
    All Things Root (Milestone) - Android Forums

3. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Houston, Tejas
    Come again?

You don't have to install a custom ROM once you've rooted, but if there's another way to install one, I'm not aware of it.

4. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer

Jan 11, 2010
    Driver
    W Midlands, UK
    It's not necessary to root in order to install a custom ROM

Root (SU rights to the ROM's system files) is not necessary to replace the recovery image in order to install a custom ROM. Not really sure how I can make that clearer?