• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Advantages of s-off

ok so having s-on or off is not as a big deal as it used to be. with the latest hboot 2.18 you can unlock the bootloader but still have s-on. the only disadvantage really is not being able to flash any new radios. that is the only part that is still locked down. the other disadvantage is that you will have your bootloader watermarked.

once your bootloader is unlocked, you can pretty do the same thing as any other rooted phone can do. you can flash roms, kernels, scripts, mods, and themes.

what is cool is that if you ever want to fully root you can always continue on with the captain's method or even do taco root.

hope this helps.

Upvote 0
ok so having s-on or off is not as a big deal as it used to be. with the latest hboot 2.18 you can unlock the bootloader but still have s-on. the only disadvantage really is not being able to flash any new radios. that is the only part that is still locked down. the other disadvantage is that you will have your bootloader watermarked.

once your bootloader is unlocked, you can pretty do the same thing as any other rooted phone can do. you can flash roms, kernels, scripts, mods, and themes.

what is cool is that if you ever want to fully root you can always continue on with the captain's method or even do taco root.

hope this helps.

the only reason i knew was because i just rooted one :D

i wasnt sure of the benefits of s-off so i just unlocked the bootloader and stopped there, after all i only wanted to do it so i can flash roms. and it also seem like it took a while longer to get s-off, it only took me 10 minutes to unlock bootloader :cool:

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
the only reason i knew was because i just rooted one :D

i wasnt sure of the benefits of s-off so i just unlocked the bootloader and stopped there, after all i only wanted to do it so i can flash roms. and it also seem like it took a while longer to get s-off, it only took me 10 minutes to unlock bootloader :cool:

yes that is why in my guide: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html. i have the HTVdev method as the recommended way to go. the other methods are slightly more involved.

Upvote 0
The advantages goes with the understanding of your boot loader if you have boot loader 2.16 and below the S-off is essential to having your phone rooted. In other words without S-OFF there is no ROOT. 2.18 HTC offers a Tool called HTCDEV that will unlock the Bootloader but not turn the Securitys off so there for it remains S-ON however it lets you flash Higher level systems such as ROMS and Kernels you cannot flash bootloaders. So in this instance its a limited flashing capability. HTC EVO 4G LTE will be coming out soon it will be very interesting to see the rooting capabilities of that bad boy. I may have to save up a few dollars to get it :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones