• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Advice connecting phone to PC, please

Hi
I'm asking on behalf of a friend who has an android phone (HTC wildfire) but who is computer illiterate. I am vaguely computer literate but know nothing about these phones (I am a Luddite and use an old house-brick phone).
I downloaded and installed the driver for him and I managed to find and change the settings options to HTC Sync but the laptop doesn't see the phone (device not connected message or something like that comes up).

However, you can see the little arrows at the top of the phone screen (one up, one down) flashing, so I presume the things are talking to each other, just that the PC doesn't then recognise it.

If anyone can help, we'd be grateful but any help provided will have to be in language designed for an 80-year-old (I would say 10-year-old but these days, a 10-yo would probably look at me as if I had 2 heads and go "Duh!"). If you can attach screen shots of any explanation, that might help).

It's quite urgent because my mate needs to download some pictures to send to the police.

Many thanks
If you are in Sheffield, UK, my mate will buy you a pint if you are ever in Walkley

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones