• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Advice for new sd card

Rgarner

Android Expert
May 9, 2017
Well, I got a new sd for the Stylus, which has been mostly behaving. At least it charges just fine, unlike another phone I could mention (Samsung Galaxy A02s). I have been advised that before I use it I should format it 2 or 3 times. I guess as long as it's brand new that shouldn't destroy any information that is presumably not on it. Should I format it with the Stylus? After that, will it be safe to use the nonVanja to copy from another SD? If I do that, which should be in the phone itself and which in the other device? Is there a way to copy only part at a time, maybe photos or videos, for instance, and then the rest later?

When you insert the card and turn on your device, you may be asked if you want the card to be used as internal or external memory.

You want external.

When you make the selection, the card will then be formatted.

Then go into Storage, choose the card, and see if you can format it.
Do it at least twice (3x total) in my opinion.

Settings
Storage
SD card
Overflow (3 dots, upper right)
Storage settings
Format

(Not sure if the above is complete, because I did not want to risk tapping Format- this is not a blank card in here, lol.)

Reactions: Rgarner
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones