1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Advice for off-contract used Sprint phone

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by dishe, Feb 14, 2014.

1. dishe

dishe Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    Looking for suggestions on the Sprint network: I need to replace a dying LG phone, but I'm not getting any contract subsidy on a handset (and not in a position to spend a lot of money right now) so I'm looking at affordable used models from ebay.

I started off looking only at cheaper mid-range devices (Galaxy Victory, worth around $50 there) but then decided to entertain the idea of a more flagship device like the S3 (worth around $150+). Ideally I want to keep it under $100, so I then found the EVO 4G LTE. Seems like you can find them between $80-$100 in decent shape, same class device as the S3 from what I understand.

I'm just wondering before I go in either of these directions, are there any other handsets you guys think I should be considering that I may have missed (considering my budget and criteria)?

Advertisement

2. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

The S3 has an update to Android 4.4 - if that important I would go with a Galaxy S3.

If price is a major factor an EVO 4G LTE for under $100 is a good deal.

3. dishe

dishe Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    The US carriers for the s3 all the A4 dual-core 1.5Ghz chip. This was a pretty big fiasco, I don't even own the phone and I remember being upset about it when I heard:
    https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/433299

So, no quad cores here. In fact, the Sprint S3 has the same exact chip as the Galaxy Victory (which is their lower end device, only that one is limited by a software-controlled governor). Both the S3 and LTEVO are actually relatively evenly matched in processor specs, with real world tests and benchmarks sometimes actually tipping in the favor of the HTC.

The official update to 4.4 is nice, but the HTC seems to have a healthy Cyanogen support team.

The internal battery is what concerns me about the HTC though. That, and the size of either of these devices. I just don't like big screens, there I said it!