1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Apps Advice me about gamemaking

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by P3nnyw1se, Jul 27, 2013.

1. P3nnyw1se

P3nnyw1se Lurker

Hey guys, attempting to keep this short.

in 5 months as part of my education.. I have to turn in a project, preferably something actually working.

I want to create an android 2d game app.

I have 1

Advertisement

2. AppDevProject

AppDevProject Newbie

If you want to make games only for android then AndEngine is not a bad option. I didn't know much about game making or android but I recently launched my first game app "Pyramid Mover" few days ago.. Have a look at it that was about 1 months worth of work including learning everything and working on it around my normal job.

So its not impossible but be ready to work hard. Another thing about AndEngine is that there is not much help when you get stuck because its not used by too many users. So if your comfortable with that then go ahead I think you can do it..

3. P3nnyw1se

P3nnyw1se Lurker

So would you recommend another game engine?

I'm looking for..

1: One thats easy to use of course
    2: One that has documentation.. a book would be fantastic
    3: being used by a lot of people, able to take my problems somewhere

4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

I moved this to the Application Development forum to get some better eyes on it.:)

5. out of ideas

out of ideas Android Enthusiast

AndEngine has that huge book, its own forum and tons of users.

Its a good choice. you can find lots of help if you google your way around. Just make sure they are for the version you are using, as there are the older ones, and the GLES 2 branches.

the forum AndEngine - Forums • AndEngine - Forums

6. P3nnyw1se

P3nnyw1se Lurker

hi Guys

I'm atm. on my bachelor of software Development. I have had 1 year of programming in Java and 4 months of programming Android..
    which eventually lead to me making my own little app, learning the basic stuff about Activities and Fragments.. made a horrible GUI.
    I've become very interested in game making, saw some cool stuff about AndEngine. And now I'm looking to learn about game development in android. I wanna do it the right way and don't mind repeating stuff I already learned.
    I saw the AndEngine book, and read the first chapter, I didn't feel like I got enough out of it. So I'm asking here, if you can recommend me somewhere online to learn about android game Development. Ideally I'm thinking like an online school? where you do exercises, or 300x20minutes videos.. something other than just a book.
    I'm sorry if this is a Little 'too' offtopic.

7. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

moved you to the app development forum for better eyes from the devs themselves.

edit: and merged with existing thread;)

8. ProjectLiquid

ProjectLiquid Member

I am currently also learning android following this book "Java programming for Android Developers for Dummies" I'm a little over half-way through the book. And its mainly aimed at people who aren't very good with java or are brand new to it(like this guy). And while I may not understand all of it, it has given me enough information to start grasping the main ideas of the coding language.

I know there are some small apps and simple games in the second half of the book. But I dont plan on stopping there. I have plenty of experience making games for console/PC. But this is going to be my first foray into mobile development. I absolutely am terrible at programming. I am more art/design orientated so when i see code. I look at it..................huh?...........oh,maybe?....no.......what the hell!.......well you get the idea. I figured it was high time I teach myself some new skills and that's why I am here.

oh and I was also looking into andEngine, ive got the book for that as well. I would like to hear opinions from those who have just started using it.